19 years ago

Re: metal or rubber?

both suck if their facings are poor.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

When it comes to the sound, the geometric design is more important than the material it is made of. Metal pieces tend to be narrower than rubber or plastic pieces - which you may find to be more or less comfortable. The facing on a metal mouthpiece is more permanent, but metal mouthpieces are far from indestructable and are harder to repair. Like anything "sax", you have to try it to know if it works for you or not.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

Yes. "When it comes to the sound, the geometric design is more important than the material it is made of." No. Rubber pieces are usually more free-blowing and produce a more mellow sound. My opinon is that with metal you can do things that rubber can't. Like thinner walls and so on...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by k.o. kid
    (14 posts)

19 years ago

Rubber mouthpeices are generally easier to blow but usually don't have as much volume as metal. Metal generally takes more wind, but are more penetrating. I haven't tried all that many metal mouthpeices over the years...I would like to find one that blows as easily as a Meyer rubber.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

I have one of the loudest, brightest mouthpieces in...probably the world - I know for sure, within the united states - its a rubber.

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
        (148 posts)

19 years ago

My Meyer 5 Alto piece is as bright and loud as my Dukoff D8. I just can't get the same warmth out of the metal piece, so I play the Meyer on gigs with more "light" music. On Tenor, my Florida Link 8* wasn't loud enough in a loud guitar band. I bought a Lakey Jazz 8*3 (I think) and the easy blowing volume was immense. I've since switched to a Dukoff D8.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, it doesn't matter nearly as much what it's made of. My berg 90/1M(rubber) is way brighter and louder than my brilhart6(metal), yet my meyer 6 is mellower than the berg metal i played. it's all in the design. If you have two of the same design, but different materials, then you'll notice. such as the ponzol m1, and the ponzol m1 rubber

Reply To Post

2. by BleedingGumsMurphy
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

Metal pieces usually sound brighter and have more projection, but require more air. They sound good on tenors but on an alto, many times the sound produced is very harsh. Rubber pieces are usually more free-blowing and produce a more mellow sound.

Reply To Post