Saxophone Forum

by saxmaniac
(19 posts)
19 years ago

Intonation

My alto is super cool, its a super blanced action and everything about it is ideal except the D is extremely sharp. I realize it's this way (more or less) on all saxes, but the only way i can get it down is by holding side B. The tone doesn't suffer much when i do this...but is there a more practical way to fix the problem?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Buddyroach
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Intonation

Is D the only note that is sharp on your horn?

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

SBA - supercool indeed! You might need to lower the low C bumper a bit. Too much and it can get stuffy, but it's one course of action you can take relatively easily. You might then need to address the open height of the D#, but that's sort of the house of cards known as "saxophone intonation".

Reply To Post

1. by saxmaniac
      (19 posts)

19 years ago

Hmm...house of cards indeed. So basically i should fiddle with the heights of those open pads and D#, i gather. I was thinking of sending it to Oleg, but he insists on buying his necks...and I dont have $700 to spare right now. And by the way my D is especially sharp, everything else is characteristic of most all horns. (D# and E pretty shrp as well). I can't think of any other instrument with so many tunig quirks besides sax, yet I wouldn't play anyhting else. Strange. Thanks for the advice guys

Reply To Post