Saxophone Forum

by Carple
(2 posts)
8 years ago

Getting back into it, my son will join band soon, advice please

so I'm almost 40, but back in high school, I was a pretty good Bari sax player.  Made several all state bands, and even a national band with the option to join an international band the summer after graduating. I have not played since high school.  At all. Never once.

Anyway, now my oldest son has joined the Jr high band and chose to play the trumpet for some reason.  But my other son is a few years away and assures me that he won't let me down; he will choose the sax.  I'm kidding of course, but my son bringing his trumpet home and loving it has really got me wanting to get a sax and play again.   

I have absolutely no idea where to start.  We bought my son a trumpet  based on research on trumpetmaster.com and mytrumpetguy.com.  I'm wondering if this forum can help with good beginner models of altos that I could buy and play now and maybe teach my younger son prior to him joining the school band in a few years.

alternatively, I wouldn't be opposed to buying a Bari for myself and get my son an alto in a couple years.  But I did a quick look on the Internet, and Baris all over the place.   

Could someone suggest a good Bari model and price for a casual player? 

Also so could someone suggest a good alto for a beginner?  I assume he will need to start on an alto, but peers of my older son are starting right on tenor. 

Thanks in advance. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Getting back into it, my son will join band soon, advice please

The Yamaha YAS 21 and 23 are good beginner altos and there is a plentiful supply of used ones.  

If you're looking for a used bari, the Vito Japan ones are good and not as expensive as those from the better known makes. You might find a good deal on a Yamaha YBS-62.  The later Conn baris are also affordable.  The Conn low A baris have a reputation for intonation problems on the lowest notes because of the Mickey Mouse way they extended the tube.  

If you're looking at new baris, the only one under $3000 that I would consider is the Kessler Soloist (student model).   Phil Barone sells baris starting around $3400.  Chateau and Antigua are also solid Taiwanese brands sold in stores.

Reply To Post

1. by Carple
      (2 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Getting back into it, my son will join band soon, advice please

Thank you!  That's a great start for me!

Reply To Post