Saxophone Forum

by ivansideways
(1 post)
19 years ago

Grafton Sax

I have a Grafton sax in not so good condition but repairable.It has 1 broken key, 1 key with no spring, Needs new pads although some still work, some new cork, broken keyguard and a crack on the bottom which has been repaired. My question is this,I would be interested in selling this and wondered what would be a reasonable price to ask? I know to some it would be a collectible so in that respect can anyone give me any quotes? Also where can I sell it,I am in Ireland and would sell over the internet. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Grafton Sax

it really depends, there are a lot of technicians out there that wont work on them because they are so fragile, and springs would be VERY hard to replace, the would have to be made from trumpet water key spring stock, if you could find some with big enough diameter. New key guards are availiable, i will find a guys email tonight when I am at my own computer that knows a contact that is producing new key guards. I would say, probably 300 bucks or so, just as a wild guess.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

As for repairing that Grafton, contact either Steve Goodson at www.saxgourmet.com, or Sarge at www.worldwidesax.com Both of these guys are really good with vintage horns. Also while on Steve's site check out what he has written on Grafton History, quite intresting. Also very intresting is the history on Graftons at www.saxpics.com, a site which is put together by Pete Hales, the sax historian. A Good Condition Grafton that is working order is going to go for a LOTY more than 300, try around 2 or 3 thousand. Those are really rare these days because for a while so many people gave them to kids as toys and... you get the picture? Anyway, good luck with the Grafton!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

19 years ago

steve goodson wont work on them, and I have lost my faith in sarge after he sent me a horn that was "playable" but was not in the least bit. I dont really think too much of goodson either, but that is another story. truth be told, there aren't that many capable techs out there, let alone, capable techs that would work on a grafton. Ask mark about it, see if he knows anyone.

Reply To Post