Saxophone Forum

by InstantLunch
(30 posts)
19 years ago

College?

I've been really wanting to go into recording, until I realized that you need to be good in maths and science. I'm horrible with the both of them. There went my dream of a recording studio. Anyways, I really enjoy playing saxophone, and I'd like to do something with it. Problem is, what? I've thought about teaching, but I'm not the greatest with other people. I've also always wanted to own my own shop, assuming that I got over my bashfulness one day. I guess I'm just posting to hear peoples suggestions on choosing a career path. Mabye even if you could just mention what you did with yourselves.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bigglen1985
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

=Re: College?

Hi I've just got through my first year of University (or whatever you guys call it). I was originally looking at going into Sound Engineering but missed out, so I had to settle for a Music Teaching course elsewhere. In my experience I found that the course actually changed me into a little bit more of a people's person than I was before, by having to perform in front of people and stuff like that. So the shyness might just take care of itself so there's my experience. keep playing!

Reply To Post

2. by papa_smurf
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: College?

Who told you that you need to be good with maths and science to have a recording studio??? You'll need a way to pay for all that recording gear, and the business acumen to attract clients to hire your studio. If you want to produce bands/talent yourself then you need nothing more than a good ear and the people skills. You can always hire audio engineers in for the technical (operations) stuff if that's not your stong point. Don't worry about choosing your 'career for life' anyway... most people change several times in their working life. I left school at 15 to work in a recording studio, a music nut playing every instrument I could get my hands on. Here I am at 29 finishing my post-grad thesis and lecturing in business management. In the years between there's several jobs and three companies I owned. Music is fun for me, not a career - a lack of skill on my part unfortunately!

Reply To Post

1. by InstantLunch
      (30 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I'm talking about getting a degree in sound recording technology. The only college near me that has that type of program and I can afford is Fredonia. Only 15 new freshmen are accepted into the program, and all of wich have taken advantage of advanced math and science courses. I have an unbeleiveably hard time with both. Having a music shop would be awesome for me, because I could eventually add on a recording studio later. I also have an interest in instrument repair. How would I go about getting into the field of repair?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

I know a lot of people who went to IPR (iprschool.com for recording and music industry stuff, none of them are really good at math... but it's also around 20k a year, full time and I mean FULL TIME, for about 2 years. I wish I would have done it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by InstantLunch
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

It's in Minneapolis. I'm in Niagara Falls, dude. Plus, for only about 3k more I could go to Ithica School of Music. The price is way out of my range, unless I get some serious scholarship dollars, wich I doubt will happen.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

dude, I said "I know a lot of people who went there" I didn't say "dude, check this place out..."

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM