Saxophone Forum

by Xeno
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Pricing on Tenor Sax?

-Brand New High Quality Tenor Saxophone -Brand Name - Allan -This instrument is the latest 2004 Model and not last years model or one from a closeout music company. This ensures that the cork and pads are in great shape and not cracked, which you could find with older models. *I`m not sure how much this helps, but is $300 a good price for that?* Also, is this a good saxaphone? For starters as well? And is there any type of reed a beginner should use? Thanks alot! :), Richard

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Pricing on Tenor Sax?

Actually, the $300 price tag for a new instrument pretty much guarantees the instrument as a whole isn't in great shape. Cork and pads don't crack or fail due to being just a few years old Xeno, they fail because they're made of substandard materials to begin with or from being used. I would strongly be suspicious of any unknown company trying to sell me a product by leading an ad with the phrase "High Quality" for a price far less than even the better taiwanese manufacturers like Jupiter or Antigua can sell for. Knowing that taiwan manufactured horns utilize rather cheap labor as well these unknown brands, but still produce tenors that can't be sold for less than about $1300 internet (or $1700 retail), you really have to think about how they're keeping costs down while still being able to make a profit.

Reply To Post

1. by Xeno
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Hello! Thanks alot for the reply Johnson. I see what you mean. Do you recommend renting Saxes? I've never played one before, but I have a feeling I'd like it. Guess I'll have to choose something else for my wishlist :) . Anyway, I really appreciate the speedy reply! Many thanks :D, Richard

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

Renting is probably the best way to go in your case, I think for several reasons: 1) if you decide it's not for you, you've only lost the cost of rent. 2) the horn you get should be in suitable condition for a beginner as it's been in the hands of a technician. A person beginning on an instrument really needs a quality horn in good adjustment to avoid dissapointment and setbacks. Bottom-dollar cheap horns typically don't come well adjusted and become worse in a short time by developing leaks due to weak mechanisms and having corks and felts fall off, etc. when looking to purchase your own horn, I would suggest getting something used, but in good condition. A competent teacher can help you with this. Also, take lessons!

Reply To Post