Saxophone Forum

by astrocarro
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Looking for a Mouthpiece for a Dexter Gordon sound

I'm looking for a mouthpiece that can (help) give that amazing dexter gordon tone, and also work when working for a getz sound. What you recomend? Thanks. Oh, and I play on a Mark VI, if the horns matters at all in your advice

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Looking for a Mouthpiece for a Dexter Gordon sound

Most of his career, Dexter played a Conn 10M, but in the late sixties switched to a Mark IV. As for mouthpieces, he played os various Otto Links(at the beginig of his career he used a 4 or 5, but in later years was seen usings an 8) There was also a period through the 50s where He played a Berg Larsen. On soprano, Dexter Gordon played a metal selmer C*

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jazzax
      (30 posts)

19 years ago

You might check out a Phil Barone Vintage Rubber. I love that big Dex foo foo sound too and have definitely enjoyed emulating it in the past. The Barone 8* with my '55 Mk VI and Hemke 2.5 is all part of my own personal holy grail, but you might find that something completely different gets you to where you want to be. If you want to go with a link, you're probably going to have to go vintage, probably NY vintage and that gets really expensive these days. I could be wrong about whether that's necessary. Probably not going to help much to know what Dex used since the variables on the way he played vs. the way you play (or anybody else) are the really important ones and he took that to the grave. Eventually, you'll get your sound going and you'll dig it so much you'll just want to play more and more and more as you continue on your journey. Have fun!

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
        (48 posts)

19 years ago

Man, just listen and try to mimic his sound. Some people will tell you that equipment is everything. But a lot of it is in your head. If you listen enough to what you want to sound like, then after a lot of listening and transcribing, you will.

Reply To Post

2. by dougal
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

i think dexter used to play dukoff and otto links. the phil barone mouthepieces are beasts i mean the best mouthpiece i have ever owned and ive owned a freddie gregory. you wont get the getz sound most of the time with the barones but tou will with an ebonite such as an old otto link hard rubber but if you are interested in a barone check out his website i suggest the new york or jazz.as i said they work great on my mk VI so they probably will on yours

Reply To Post

3. by saxophoneplayingistight
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

i highly recommend the new tenor otto link NY series. they give me a huge beefy fat sound like dex.

Reply To Post AIM