Saxophone Forum

by bigglen1985
(3 posts)
19 years ago

High Register Tone

Hi, Just recently joined this forum. I have been playing clarinet for a while and also have played Alto sax for little a while now. I haven't got a teacher and I was wondering how I can improve the tone I produce on sax in the high register (like above the high C two octaves above middle) coz I get a really weak sound and flat pitch when I hit these notes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

19 years ago

Re: High Register Tone

try working overtones(playing the P8, P12, P15, M17, etc. while fingering the root. I.E. Finger Low Bb and adjust your embeschure to play Middle Bb, Middle Eb, High Bb, High D, etc.) Try a few things. 1) Go up the series over a single fingering 2) Play up chromaticaly on one harmonic level 3) Match the sound of the harmonic to the natural fingering Then just try adjusting your embeschure. Open your throat, take more mouthpeice it, etc. good luck

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

sounds like good advice spike but he can also, check out different mouthpiece maybe the horn is crap octave key could be not opening properly many variables involved in these problems also maybe needs different type or strenght reed

Reply To Post

3. by bigglen1985
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the Advice, I'll work on these exercises. I use a size 2.5 Vandoren reed and my Sax is a Jupiter of some kind apparently worth about $1900 (I got it real cheap though). So I don't think it's the reed or Sax but correct me if I'm wrong because I'm primarily a clarinet player.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

well, i'd suggest moving up a strength or 2 on reeds, but the jupiter shouldn't cause you too many problems.

Reply To Post