Saxophone Forum

by wenjotwo
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Help to date Conn Shooting Stars alto

I bought a Conn alto sax from the classifieds. The person selling didn't have a clue to its history. It's a Conn, with the shooting stars and the serial number is K20804. It looks to be in pretty good shape, minor wear-and-tear scratches, but no dents. Any info will be appreciated. Wendy

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzfool132
    (144 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help to date Conn Shooting Stars alto

Hows does your horn play? Does it give you any problems that we should be concerned with? I think it might be a horn from the late 60s probably a Mexi-conn but I'm not sure.

Reply To Post

1. by wenjotwo
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Some of the keys are a bit sticky. It does have a deep rich sound, I tried all the main keys on both octaves. I don't remeber how to play though, it was well over twenty years ago; that's why I wanted one, to begin lessons all over again.

Reply To Post

2. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

this horn is officially called the "Director" model by Conn. It is basically an update of the Pan American from the 30s (Same bore, Similar keywork) and would also be called the 14M (alto) and 16M (tenor) they are intermediate level horns. It is called the Shooting Star model due to the engraving of stars on the bell. Production went from approx 1955 to 1974. The earlier ones seem to be better players than the new ones, but either way, you have a pretty decent intermediate Conn horn which you can consider one of the last Conns made in America!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Interesting. I wasn't sure about the 14M (alto statement, because the earlier 14M was a bass, but apparently the Director model alto was also called a 14M? I don't recall my alto having a model number on it. I sold it a little over a year ago.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

According to my list of serial numbers, this horn was made in 1967 www.drrick.com/conn.html , so this model is still US made. They're nice playing/sounding horns. My first alto was a 1963 Director's model. They're not nearly as valuable as the older New Wonder Series II's and 6M's. I've seen many in really nice shape sell for less than $600. Their a very solid horn though; the US made ones. A great choice for the beginner-intermediate player.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

for more info check out the site run by Pete Hales, the sax historian. www.saxpics.com plethora of information there and he is extremely knowledgeable (and yes the bass sax was called a 14M, and some of the late director models were marked as an 18M, just to make it more confusing, isnt it great?)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by wenjotwo
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks to all who responded!! You guys are great! Wendy

Reply To Post