Saxophone Forum

by drbruckman
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Ligature for a Bari metal Otto Link.

I currently use a rovner but i'm looking for some thing different. I'd really appreciate some direction. I've heard some good things about the Vandoren Optimum. Any ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by lowwhistler
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ligature for a Bari metal Otto Link.

Any idea how old the link is? I'm playing a 30's-40's metal link and it's so narrow I'm using a stock metal clarinet ligature on it. It has a surprising nice sound and response that way. I use it mostly for jazz though so edginess (within reason) isn't a bad thing.

Reply To Post

1. by drbruckman
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

It's fairly new, within 5 years.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Honestly, the Rovner Eddie Daniels is probably your best bet other than the standard Otto Link lig.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

actually, you wouldn't be able to use the Eddie Daniels on a Link I don't think. They make a lig specifically for Otto Link mouthpieces. That's what I would use.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by lowwhistler
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

I haven't had very good luck with the original ligature on my link, but that's less the tone than the engineering which has probably improved. It really depends on how much you want to, and have the time to experiment. I would keep in mind that generally speaking, the less massive the ligature is, and the less that is touching the reed and the mouthpiece the better because it allows the over tones to "ring" out. I haven't played an eddie daniels, but if it did fit (and it might I've used a normal rovner before one mine) then that looks like it would let things vibrate a lot more freely than the regular cloth rovner.

Reply To Post

3. by drbruckman
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

thanks.

Reply To Post

4. by gatlin88
          (13 posts)

19 years ago

Well i have a metal bari otto link STM like yours and i used an Oleg #1 Alto ligature that works awesome and plus i think that it is better than that flimsy piece of crap screw on lig that orginally came with the piece

Reply To Post