Saxophone Forum

by sgt17594
(31 posts)
19 years ago

Moutpiece for Selmer Mark VI

Recently, I bought the Selmer Mark VI Alto and play it on the Syphomic band. However, I feel the sound is too mellow, my teacher told me that it should be the mpc problem, buy a metal mpc with bright sound can solve this problem.... Have any good suggestion for me???=,=???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Moutpiece for Selmer Mark VI

I wouldn't recommend a metal piece sgt. There are only a couple good metal mouthpieces that I've found for alto and their quite costly. I would recommend a hard rubber piece. Otto Link makes one that's really nice. I think they cost around $90. I have an old Conn Steelay alto piece I like from the 1950's. I also have a couple Rico Royal mouthpiecesfor alto and tenor that were very inexpensive that I really like. Out of all the pieces I've tried on my 10M (tenor) I like the Rico Royal the best. They're usually under $20. The standard Selmer pieces are usually quite mello.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The model Rico Royal I use is a B3.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

I find "too mellow" a bit odd of a notion in symphonic band. You sure it's not the tone, but rather projection that is lacking?

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
        (48 posts)

19 years ago

I wouldn't use a metal mouthpiece in a symphonic band because you're going to blast over everyone else. Metal mouthpieces are known for their brightness and projection. Something that you don't want in a symphonic band. Try darkening up your tone by lifting your tounge more in the back of your throat. If you really want to buy a new mouthpiece, I'd use a Selmer C* with either the S80 or S90 facing. Just curious, but what are you playing one now?

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

its no big deal, but these things iritate me sometimes: mintyfreshjam, the S80 and S90 are not the facingsm but the model. C* is a facing. Selmer facings are B, C, C*, C**, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The C* doesn't indicate the facing. The C. indicates the chamber size. A C* is a fairly open unrestricted chamber with a softer more mellow sound. The facing is the taper at the tip of the mouth piece; the size of the opening between the reed and the tip. The size of the facing is represented by a number. Most mouthpieces are a #3-#5 facing. The bigger the number, the more open the tip of the mouthpiece.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

On Selmer mpcs, the C* DOES indicate the facing (On tenor) C=.65, C*=.70, C**=.75, D=.80,... Not everyone numbers their tip openings the same way, for instamce, a Beechler 6, a berg larsen 90, a couf 8*, a Guy Hawkins 6, a Meyer 8, an Otto link 6, an RIA 5, a Runyon 7, and a Wolfe Tayne 6 all measure the same, at .90.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That's true. The numbers do vary between manufactures. One company's # 6 may be the same size opening as another company's # 8. I have a Selmer C* 80 piece for an alto that also has a # 5 on it, and according to the paperwork that came with this particular piece, The letter represents the chamber. Maybe this isn't the case with all of the models, but it is with mine.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

hmm intresting. I never actually played a Selmer whe I was younger, but have had some for about the last 7 or 8 years. I was going off of the Modern ones minly, but have never seen/heard a Selmer with that kind of markings. Do you think you could send me pictures of it, because that intrests me, and also, what model does it say it is on the paperwork? My email is [email protected]

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

6. by zoot51
          (10 posts)

19 years ago

Selmer has recently re-issued the "Soloist" mouthpieces with an arch-shaped chamber, basically identical the the mouthpieces that were original equipment on the Mark VI. I have one of the originals for my Mark VI alto, which I use regularly. I have also used a Meyer, but the Selmer gives me better intonation. Metal mouthpieces should generally be reserved for JAZZ band, not symphonic band (the Selmer classical metal excepted, of course).

Reply To Post

7. by sgt17594
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for all saxquest's member, now I use the Selmer C** Soloist mpc on my Symphonic band. My band leader had no adverse comment on it! However, sometimes, we need to do the sectional profoming, as my section leader always take the jazz ro blues emsemble, My band leader always said that "the 1st alto is not bright and loud enough" so I need a bright metal mpc for it. Sorry, I forget to mentiona about that..! Thank you for the advise and Merry X'mas for all !!

Reply To Post

8. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

"so I need a bright metal mpc for it." huh? you NEED a metal mpc? or do you just need a BRIGHT mpc? I had (lost) a old Brilhart mouthpiece for my alto, only played on it for a month or so, but I belive I liked it from what I can remeber. I have and use a Beechler now, and it's very bright. but it's lacking in the bottom end and dosn't really have much of a "tone" it's mostly bright, or bright.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM