Saxophone Forum

by saxyappy
(1 post)
19 years ago

CONN SERIAL 30824 & other inexpensive Bari's

Hello everyone, I finished college a few years ago, and haven't been able to play a Bari. since (my budget is not allowing for it). I saw a silver Conn with the serial 30824L and was wondering if it was worth a hoot and if so how much? In addition, can anyone recommend good vintage Bari's that wont cost an arm and a leg? I don't care if she is ugly as sin, as long as I can get a fat sound and more than a quarter note out on one breathe! LOL Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: CONN SERIAL 30824 & other inexpensive Bari's

If that serial number is correct. she's an oldie! The L represents low pitch. Dr. Rick's serial number list dates this horn manufactured around 1914. www.drrick.com/conn.html This is a Wonder series. They're worth a fair amount because this is one of the first Conn Baritones made when CG. Conn still owned the factory. These saxophones had decent intonation, but the action was a bit clumbsy and these earlier models can be quite a pain to keep in tune and properly adjusted. Most likely this model has a Union label on it, which makes it more valuable to Conn collectors. I've seen a few Conn 12M's sell on ebay for a decent price. Some Buescher and King models can be bought fairly reasonably also.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: CONN SERIAL 30824 & other inexpensive Bari's

For a collector, these older Woner and New Wonder series I horns are cool and fun to play with. If you plan on playing the horn with a band, I would shy away from anything made before about 1928.

Reply To Post Yahoo!