Saxophone Forum


by dougal
(3 posts)
9 years ago

modern saxes

everyone knows about mk VI's but what do you reckon the best modern sax about is

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

  1. by p-apple
    (49 posts)

    9 years ago

    Re: modern saxes

    YAS -23 for beginner! A lot of people have different opinion when it comes to modern professional sax though. - william

    Reply To Post


  2. by Dabg8
    (7 posts)

    9 years ago

    Re: modern saxes

    There are so many good horns out there these days. My alto is YAS-62II. And my tenor is a dave guardala New york series. Both are great horns but everyone has there own opinion

    Reply To Post AIM


    1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

      9 years ago

      Re: modern saxes

      I've played the Selmer Super Action 80 Tenor. This was before Series II, III, and the Reference models were avaliable. The older series (like from the 70's-80's). I liked it. I'm getting a Selmer LaVoix. Same as a proffesional model Selmer with the addition of a red brass body, which has a warmer sound. I've heard good things bout Selmer, Yamaha, and Yanagisawa. I was gonna get a Yamaha tenor then it hit me, I WANT A SELMER *laughs*. I couldn't stand the thought of NOT owning one (for some reason *rolls eyes*.) Just my two cents

      Reply To Post


      1. by Dabg8
        (7 posts)

        9 years ago

        Re: modern saxes

        Before I bought my yamaha alto I did not know to much about them. My college prof. said I should go and try one out and see what i thought. i was amazed on how the action, intonation and general fell of the horn was. needless to say i bought it and love it.

        Reply To Post AIM


        1. by Candyboy
          (75 posts)

          9 years ago

          Re: modern saxes

          I have 2 yamaha saxes that I bought new a YTS-61 and aYSS-62 I think that the action and intonation is as good as any Selmer, but I still like my old Conn saxes the best. I think it's because of the way that they vibrate when played at full volume. The Yamaha tenor has excellent ergonomics and feels very solid, but somehow cold,and detached.

          Reply To Post


      2. by saxman191
        (4 posts)

        8 years ago

        Re: modern saxes

        If anyone is interested in an oleg tenor contact brian at SAxman191@hotmail.com. The horn is a professional model horn with increadible intonation. The horn is in excelent condition without any dents and is only 3 years old.

        Reply To Post


        1. by DaveUK1965
          (14 posts)

          8 years ago

          Re: modern saxes

          Minefield ahoy..... ;-) I play a mix of vintage and modern-ish saxes, and have messed about on a lot of new ones. I really do prefer vintage saxes - more tone, more character - but more difficult to play. One thing I do know is that the sax which is best for you is a purely individual choice. Of all the modern saxes I've played, I prefer Yani's - don't get on with Selmers, Keilwerths don't like me and Yams and I don't get on at all. But. It's all a case of personal taste - the real questions are budget and quality. I'm going to get into trouble here for saying this, but a lot of saxes are just overpriced. The distinction between student, intermediate and professional saxes didn't come into place until very recently. I have a student horn which I can play just fine - there is about 10% difference between that and the professional horns I have in terms of sound quality. The old adage is - 85% you, and the remaining 15% is down to mouthpiece and sax. There's also the school that Selmer Mark VI good, everything else rubbish... which you can ignore. If you like it, buy it - play a lot first and get a feel, and if you're brand new, get a student horn, play that, play others, sell the student horn at roughly what you got it for and effectively make an expensive decision later...... when you've had a chance to improve and try more saxophones.

          Reply To Post


          1. by DaveUK1965
            (14 posts)

            8 years ago

            Re: modern saxes

            Oh yes. "Intonation"...... you play in tune. The sax is just there as a guide. ;-) No sax made will play in perfect tune and the player makes the adjustments. Some saxes are easier to keep in tune than others - but any good modern sax will be easier than a quirky vintage one from the 30's. But. You get less out, as you put less in.... I could go on. And on. And on. ;-)

            Reply To Post