Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

"Smooth"??????

ok, im starting to develop a certain tone, and i really like it..even tho the tone i can only get from a java reed.. but now im tryna get smoother.. with everything.. note transitions, subdivisions, tone.. i dont even know if that makes sense.. but like if you listen to charlie parker and cannonball and hodges, they play 16th notes completely even and swung but incredibally smooth.. i have a clue as to how to accomplish this but there has to be more i can do.. any ideas?? im just kinda lookn for smooth tone, smooth note to note moovement (bending and stuff), smooth subdivisions ( 8th, 16th, quarter notes, w/e).. get the idea??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Stebeeben
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Re: "Smooth"??????

Once you get the sound you want, stick with that setup. As far as subdivisions, play with a metronome. Set it low, and start tounging the same note, then gradually move up. Just like anything else on a sax, you've got to start slow and get the hang of it. Once you've got the feeling in your toung, and fingers, the speed as well as smoothness will come to you. Trying to jump too far ahead of yourself can only develope some pretty bad habbits.

Reply To Post