Saxophone Forum

by Hornnorm
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer LTD 54 Artist Series Tenor

Hey all, I was just getting into playing the saxophone, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on buying a horn. I've checked around extensively at the music stores in my area, but nearly each one had no tenor saxophones in stock. One of the places, had a Yamaha YTS-23 student model, and they wanted $1900 for it. They said it was in "like-new" condition, but the case appeared to be in very bad condition, so it makes me wonder. The sax looked good, but it did have small pings and scratches in places on the bell. I haven't been able to find much info or many opinions on the Selmer LTD 54 sax, so if any of you have experience with it, I'd be grateful for the advice. Here is a link to the horn: www.brookmays.com/prod_disp.aspx?itemnum=LTD54 It sounds like a better deal than the Yamaha, but I don't know anything about this model. I've read posts on these forums about Selmer Reference 54 models, but I don't know if that's similar to this one or not. It just seems like maybe too good of a deal, when the other place wanted more for a used Yamaha student model sax with a banged up case. I was wondering if there are known problems with these Selmer LTD 54 saxes, or if they are cheaply made, etc. I've read other posts where people have commented that not all Selmer horns are good. I'm hoping that it's a quality sax, and it's just being offered cheaply because this place has a surplus of them. They do have it a grand cheaper than the retail price. I've never heard anyone comment on this model before, so I'd greatly appreciate any reviews or info. Thanks for any advice or help that you can offer. -Norm

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by finmac
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer LTD 54 Artist Series Tenor

There is no mention of a Selmer ltd 54 saxophone on the Selmer website. Seems likely to be a fake or fraud. The Reference 54 model is an actual Selmer saxophone, though a 'professional' model and very expensive. If there is little word about a saxophone it's best to avoid it. I've played a yts23 for 13 years and have found it to be well made w/ fast action. Your sound on the yts23 can be varied easily with different mouthpiece and reed combos. $1900 (American dollars I'm assuming) is steep for a like new horn, a new one can easily be had for that.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

1900 is way too much for a YTS23. Check out the Woodwind Brasswind, they offer their's for around 1000-1100, you just have to call them. They display their MAP, which is the price Yamaha tells them to put, on their website, but their real price is a lot cheaper. Yamahas are great horns. For less than 1900 you can get the YTS62II, which is an awesome horn, I own it. For around 1600 you can get a YTS475, which I liked a lot too. Usually you're going to find that there are much better deals from the big suppliers than your local music store. For that selmer, I've never heard of it, and the Reference 54 will go for 4500. www.wwbw.com

Reply To Post

1. by pac1687
        (1 post)

19 years ago

Hi, I walked into my local Brook Mays today, and I tried out their Selmer Artist Limited Alto (with a "Big Bell"), and I was quite satisfied with the sound and intonation. It was definitely the best saxophone I had tried their in a variety of price ranges, including the Yamaha 62II and the Selmer Super Action 80. One thing that I had noticed was that it was almost idntical to my Cannonball (I know, many people dislike cannonballs) Big Bell Global Series Alto, which I purchased for around 1700 new. I still liked my Cannonball better, but if that Selmer is your only option, I'd go with that. It's got the Selmer name, with awesome performance in a price range below the Selmer SA 80. I'd probably rank the saxophones that I tried out at my Brook Mays in the following order: Selmer Limited Artist Alto w/ Big Bell Yamaha 62II Selmer SA 80 Of course, you should play test any saxophone you are considering purchasing, as I may have just tried out a dud SA80, and tried an awesome Selmer Artist Limited Alto. Best of luck!

Reply To Post