Saxophone Forum

by chadbang
(2 posts)
8 years ago

Lyon Healy Sopranino saxophone images and question

Hello,
I have a Lyon Healy Sopranino (I believe) saxophone. As the holidays have drained me, I am planning on auctioning it. It's sad, because it's a very cute sax. But I am really a clarinet player and we have to do what we have to do. I've never been able to find much information on this sax, so I am coming here for your most-appreciated advice as to value and rarity. The sax is in very nice condition, except for that fact that a "Some Like It Hot" red hot player decided to paint it RED. Ouch. A decent paint job (luckily they didn't do the keys) but obviously not ideal (well. maybe for Xmas only! Maybe that's what put selling it in my mind). I haven't tried to remove the paint because it looks like a job, and I'm not sure how well the finish will stand up to a paint remover. There is some minor pitting but otherwise in excellent shape will no dents or dings or bends. The keys and springs are good and playable. A little oil and I think they'd be good to go (I have played it). The pad, naturally, need a refresher. Here are some photos!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/chadbang/library/Lyon%20Healy%20Saxophone

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Lyon Healy Sopranino saxophone images and question

I think you've got a curved soprano sax, not a sopranino. Honestly it is a tough sale. Lyon & Healy's aren't easy to sell in the best of circumstances (freshly overhauled, original silver plate in good shape). One that has been painted like that and needs a repad, and is keyed to high Eb instead of F, is going to be hard sax to move for anything decent. Good luck with it.

Reply To Post

1. by chadbang
      (2 posts)

8 years ago

Thanks, Jon. How do you tell the difference between a sopranino and a curved soprano? You can tell what it's keyed to by looking at it? 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

8 years ago

A soprano is bigger than a sopranino and is usually in the key of Bb, sometimes C.  A horn keyed in Bb will sound a concert Bb when its C note is fingered.  A C horn will sound C for C. Sopraninos are in the key of Eb.  Your horn has only two LH palm keys going to high Eb rather than the more up to date three going to high F.

Reply To Post