Saxophone Forum

by ELSaxiDad
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Mouthpieces

I play a Selmer Super 80 Series Alto with a Dukoff # 6 chamber mouthpiece. I recently bought a Yamaha Yss-875 and purchased a Bari Gold mouthpiece. I Don't seem to be able to drive the Soprano like I can my Alto. Anyone out there have any suggestions as to what mouthpiece (or reed) combo for the Soprano I should get given the Dukoff #6 I play the Alto with? Thanks Vinny

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mouthpieces

i kno this may seem very broad and like, crazy out in the open.. but a softer reed that blows easier and a more open piece.. i like javas for a reed cuz they play very easily..donno bout mouthpiece

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxguy9345
      (21 posts)

19 years ago

Ah boy take this with a grain of salt, but I have two soprano mouthpieces. Both are Selmer S80's, one a C* and the other a G. Yeah a G facing. Its crazy open, but since my main chops are alto I find it easier to control with a harder reed. On base with your Dukoff 6* on alto, I know that if I put a slab of reed on my S80 G the sound will be pure and smooth, perfect for a classical setting. If I choose the Hemke 2 1/2, however, the thing screams and gets a really nice edge. It would be my reccomendation.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by ELSaxiDad
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks SaxGuy9345. It's almost like I'm overblowing on the Soprano (plus it's making me feel like I am going to have a stroke -- ha ha). The Dukoff 6 is a fairly big opening and I get a lot of sound out of that Alto. If anything, I agree with you that a harder reed and maybe a larger face on the Soprano mouthpiece might do it. The problem is, everytime you buy one of these things, you're spending lots of hard earned $$$ you know?

Reply To Post