Saxophone Forum

by yiftach
(11 posts)
19 years ago

playing jazz...

hello everybody. im 15 years old from israel. i was playing cllasical nusic for the lest 5 years on my alto. this year i have started to learn jazz and play on a big band with my new selmer bondy tenor. i have just learn what is a bi-pop scale and i would love if someone well give my tips where to use it or maybe standarts where you can listen to it. im sorry abaout my english... tnx :-)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: playing jazz...

I am so happy to hear you have taken an interest in jazz music. I am a senior in college studying saxophone and majoring in ''jazz studies'' it is very fun and hopefully I can give you some pointers on the use of the be-bop scale. The best place to use this scale is on what we call dominant chords. You may have seen them notated like this C7 F7 D7 ....... This scale in its simplest form gives you a major sound until we hit the 7th scale degree which is lowered a half step in the chord. The lowered seventh is followed by the major 7 we call this the leading tone, this helps us go back to the first note of the scale. The master of this scale is Charlie Parker, listening to his recordings will give you an idea of what it sounds like. When you have mastered this try the altered version of the be-bop scale here it is in the key of C. (C Db E F G Ab Bb B C) this scale works best going down. Try playing the regular one going up and the altered one going down. Hope this has helped have fun and keep playing, and practicing!

Reply To Post

1. by yiftach
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

you did helped me very mouch! tnx! and good luck with your studying...

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
        (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, Also check out the blues scale. The notes in the C blues scale are: C,Eb,F,F#,G,Bb,C. You can use them on Minor(Cmin7) chords or in a dominant chord (C7). Have fun -Hexaclon- PS The key of playing jazz is hearing jazz.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by yiftach
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

yes, i know the blues scale and i love it. i do listen to alout of jazz: bird, gordon, young and others. tnx :)

Reply To Post

2. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

yeah its good in all, hmm bird eh? listen to coltrane if you want to work on jazz scaling techniques, hes the master of it. and johnny hodges for vibrato and scoops. been playing jazz for 4 yrs now. senoir in highschool. trying to go to Essentially Ellington

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

I hope your not knocking Bird, I mean he is one of the fathers of bop.

Reply To Post

4. by tsax_player
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

Trane is my hero, but until you can bop like Bird you are not going to understand what Trane was doing with his harmonics. Study the Bird and then the Trane.

Reply To Post

2. by KINGOFSWING
        (1 post)

19 years ago

You should really focus on using when u have a solo that is 8 measures long or more And remember to hit those high notes right in the middle.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jazzdude482
          (38 posts)

19 years ago

im new to playing jazz and well if it isnt too much of a problem can anyone tell me what the be-bop scale is?

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
            (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hi man, I'm glad you're into jazz! well there are three type of bebop scales. 1. Mayor Bebop Scale- It has a chromatic aproach from the fifth to the sixth. The notes are C, E, F,G,G#,A,B,C. 2. Dominant Bebop - It has a passing tone from the dominant seventh to the octave notes are: C,E,F,G,A,Bb,B,C. 3. Minor Bebop scale- Has the same aproach of the dominant bebop scale but it has the minor third insted of the mayor third. Notes: C,DEb,F,G,A,Bb,B,C Hope this helped Peace love and music.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jazzdude482
              (38 posts)

19 years ago

thx but when i was playing the scales it sounded really weird...i play the tenor sax and well do i have to transpose the notes to my instrument and if i do what instrument is the notes on the scale u gave me for

Reply To Post

2. by Hexaclon
              (90 posts)

19 years ago

Ohh!! Sorry I wrote the scales wrong! 1. Mayor Bebop Scale- C,D, E, F,G,G#,A,B,C. 2. Dominant Bebop - C,D,E,F,G,A,Bb,B,C. 3. Minor Bebop scale- C,D,Eb,F,G,A,Bb,B,C Sorry for the mistakes.

Reply To Post AIM