Saxophone Forum

by tyler.adel
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Yanagisawa or Mark VI

Hi, I am a high school looking to purchase a new tenor saxophone. I am currently debating with myself on if i should by the Yanagisawa T9937 with sterling silver plating for $8,815... or just buy a Mark VI tenor. I dont know what to do because I've heard contradicting opinions: some saying there's nothing like the Mark VI, and others that there's no other horn that blows like the Yanagisawa. Any advice would be a great help, thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa or Mark VI

Theres no need to spend an obscene amout like tat on a horn. you can get an amazing horn in the 3 to 4 grand range. you can get a Silver plated Selmer serie 3 for that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by JaZZed
      (1 post)

19 years ago

That sax isn't silver plated, it's SOLID silver.

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

19 years ago

"sterling silver plating" I don't think you can plate something with sterling. I belive it's just plain fine silver. (I could be wrong) as for spending 9K on a horn... You're in high school, not a professional. Spend that money on something fun, like a car or something that could get you women. (and don't tell me that a 9k sax will get you women) However, go for it if you're parents are making 6 figures and spoil you rotten. Reminds me of a kid I knew though friends. His parents got him a Mercedes of HIS CHOICE for his 18th bday. Or another friend of a friend who was having a problem deciding which BMW to get. I mean that's a tough choice to put on an 18 year old. as for me, and what I would do with 9k for a sax. I would spend about 2k of that on some vintage thing, then spend the rest on this motorcycle I want to get. That or I would buy some art stuff that I need for my other hobby. Seriously, I don't (and you don't) need a sax like that laying around. Just think of how you would feel when you put the first dent in it...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

with the 9K fer a sax? I kinda have to agree with the last part of chiamac's post there. I would buy a vintage something, and a Nice used car! Or more likely since I am VERY happy with my cars, multiple vintage somethings and some awesome mouthpieces!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM