Saxophone Forum

by tyler.adel
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Yanagisawa or Mark VI tenor?

Hi, I am a high school student who is very serious about music and I am looking to purchase a new tenor saxophone. I am currently debating with myself on if i should by the Yanagisawa T9937 with sterling silver plating for $8,815... or just buy a Mark VI tenor. I dont know what to do because I've heard contradicting opinions: some saying there's nothing like the Mark VI, and others that there's no other horn that blows like the Yanagisawa. Any advice would be a great help, thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_braswell
    (22 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa or Mark VI tenor?

It sounds like you are ready to but the horn that will be with you for a long time. It would be wise to shop around and play test several horns so that you can compare and contrast your likes and dislikes. You may find that neither a Mrk IV or Yani to be to your liking. That being said, I think Yanis are great horns! I chose mine over the new selmers. While I have contemplated buying a Mrk IV I just can't bring myself to pay $4,000 for someone else's 30 year old horn, Mrk IV or not, when I can buy a new one for less. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a Mrk IV! It sounds like cash is not an issue, so broaden your horizons a bit and try as many horns as you can! If you are willing to spend $9k you have a lot of choices! Good luck on your quest!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Save your money and buy a better car. Chicks dig cars more than shiney saxophones.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

what he said. Get a good horn, but there is absolutely no need to spend more than 3-4 grand MAX. My most expensive horn is a King Super 20 Silversonic I picked up near mint condition about 7 years ago. Blows my fellow sax playing freind's Mark VI away! I only payed 3200 for it. He payed 5000 for a very ugly MarkVI that needed to be set up properly.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Spunky2sax75
        (75 posts)

19 years ago

I've never played a Mark VI tenor, but I can safely say DON'T GET A YANAGISAWA. In my opinion, Yanagisawas aren't worth it... especally not worth 8 grand. Yanagisawas, in my opinion, have a really tinny, bad tone. I would go for the VI, or even look for other choices... Yamahas and new Selmers are also a good way to go.

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

try out as many horns as possible until you find the one that feels right for you. While I wouldn't suggest spending almost 9 grand on a horn, if it is the only one that fits you, then go with your gut. Personally, I'd try horns out that are a little less expensive, and save some of your money for the humble life of a musician, or for the four years of college you have facing you rather quickly. I personally love my Martin Committee II, and wouldn't trade it for a thing. I think that its worth around 1400-2000. Its not the price tag that matters, but what you do with the horn you've got (as long as the horn is built with enough quality to have good intonation and isn't easily broken).

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

heh I think this kid should look into a nice 10M (pre 50's) and then make a good payment on a nice car. gotta get to the gigs somehow. And remeber, the back seat needs to be big enough for all you're "stuff." (or the front seat has to go back far enough...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

if ya got it, spend it. If I had that sort of money I'd be tempted with the silver yanni or a gold-plated VI. Yannis aren't tinny, unless they're made of bronze. you see, bronze is a copper-tin alloy (brass is made out of copper and zinc), which according to some make it sound rich and dark. That would then mean that sounding 'tinny' is a good thing, rather than meaning a hollow or bodyless sounding horn, which Yanagisawas certainly aren't. // last statement was a bit tounge-in-cheek, yes.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

"if ya got it, spend it. " I made somewhere around $3500 over the last semseter... I don't have any of it left. oops. if you can afford to spend it, then spend it. *wink*

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

$8,000 is just too much to spend on a Saxophone even if you can afford to spend it. There are so many very nice pro model horns; both new and vintage, for under $5000. What more do you get for the extra $3000? Not enough in my opinion. I would buy a new Keilwerth SX90, an Otto Link 6 metal mouthpiece, and save the rest towards a car or college. Maybe buy a vintage horn, or a soprano or alto or something.

Reply To Post Yahoo!