Saxophone Forum

by lake4wa
(13 posts)
19 years ago

re-laquered?

How can you tell if a sax has been relaquered? I could send you some pictures if anyone thinks they can tell. I am looking at a Conn Naked Lady alto, serial number 301025. Are all Naked Lady's 6M's? I have read some of the articles, like by Dr. Rick, etc., but this looks relaquered to me, but the seller says it's not. Thanks for any help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: re-laquered?

Does the horn have an underslung neck? (octave key on the bottom?) This vintage should have an underslung Microtuner neck. As for your question, The typical Naked lady engraving is seen on the professional horns (4M curved soprano, 6M alto, 10M tenor, 12M baritone and 14M bass) from 1934-1959. The Connqueror horns (26M alto and 30M tenor) also featured a similar engraving. A few of the older Conn artist horns had a portrait engraving, and there were a few other variations, transitional models, etc. Most likely it is a 6M. As for the relacquer, sometimes it can be very hard to tell if the job is done right. My 10M was relaquered and the finish is so perfect it looks original. Sometimes the engraving will look a little worn. Also look around the tone holes and in the bell of the horn. A professional quality relacquer will really pretty up an old jewell, and as far as lacquer effecting the sound, I think that if the relacquer is done right, the horn shouldn't sound any different than it did when it was new.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by lake4wa
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

No, it does NOT have an underslung neck.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If it is a 6M, it should have 6M stamped on the body near the thumb rest. This horn should have rolled tone holes and a microtuner neck. Not all 6M's had an underslung neck, although the majority of them did. The serial number is too late to be a transitional model or a New Wonder Series II artist model.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

This horn would have been made in 1941.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by lake4wa
          (13 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, it does have 6M engraved right below the thumb rest. But no microtuner, no underslung octave key.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

hmm. Interesting. I'm wondering if that is the original neck. A 1941 Conn 6M alto should have a microtuner. Conn discontinued the microtuner in 1954, so it may be a later neck.

Reply To Post Yahoo!