Saxophone Forum

by sirmarkus2
(11 posts)
19 years ago

Different lacquor jobs, effect & effectiveness.

I have seen a bunch of different styles of horns out there; some that are straight, and some that are red white and blue with funky little stars; but all in all, I want to know what the true effect of differnt lacquors have on horns,and also what yall think.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Different lacquor jobs, effect & effectiveness.

I haven't seen where lacquer makes much difference in sound quality. It's more cosmetic, but also helps to protect the brass. The problem I see with the unlaquered horns is that the oils on skin and saliva are really hard on a horn, and the lacquer helps to protect the brass and prevent oxidation. A lacquered horn will stay looking nicer longer. Maybe that is part of the appeal to the unlacquered horns. Personally, I like my horns to shine and look nice too. That's why I have had several of my horns relacquered. As for factory lacquer, I haven't noticed much difference as far as the colors, stars and stripe graphics, etc. I've played a few LA Sax horns, and they're ok. They remind me a lot of the earlier Conn Director horns, like the 16M and 14M, with fancy colors and a more modern action. I have noticed a difference between the plated horns and lacquered horns though. The nickel plated horns seem to be a little brighter.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by spottspidermunki
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

as long as there is one layer of lacquer, i don't think the type really makes a difference. the problem u'll run into w/ say... black or white horns, is that they are typically lacquered w/ multiple coats. this limits the horn's resonation ability. i believe this will darken the tone of the horn (not a bad thing to some people, to each his/her own). Joel

Reply To Post AIM

2. by invocansax
      (27 posts)

19 years ago

connsaxmans right, its purely cosmetic. my yamaha has basically lost most of its lacquer, and ill tell you its hard..the sweat and saliva really "tarnishes" the horn. connsaxman, is it really advisable to have a horn relacquered? im just afraid of the buffing theyll have to do before applying a new coat.

Reply To Post