Saxophone Forum

by tmbdab
(2 posts)
8 years ago

Giardinelli Eastman Alto Saxophone - GAS10 - Any good?

Hello,

Our daughter has been playing alto saxophone for the past 2.5 years, and is now in 6th grade. I've been playing tenor for a couple decades, so I know something about saxophones, but haven't been on the market for one in a long time.

The saxophone my daughter is playing is a "rent to own" Buffet saxophone from Music & Arts, and she has quickly become pretty good at it.  She's in several bands associated with the school, and made all-county band last year.   Because of this, we've been thinking that we would upgrade her sax to a new one sometime in the next year or so.

Well, without realizing it was coming up, we're now facing a choice.  We've put $1000 into her rental so far, and will pay off the rental sax shortly.  We can either walk away with the rental, or we can apply that same money toward a new horn.  Although the store sells brands I know, the best one they sell that can be purchased with the rental money is this one:

Giardinelli Alto Saxophone by Eastman Standard
$1999
Item # 213445N
Model # GAS10
 http://www.musicarts.com/Giardinelli-Alto-Saxophone-by-Eastman-213445N-i4524863.mac

I don't know anything about Giardinelli or Eastman Standard.  It seems like there's mone than one instrument company that goes by Eastman, so that makes it a little trickier to research online.  This particular model (GAS10) appears to be a model # associated with the version sold by Music & Arts, and I'm guessing the same sax might go under a different name and/or model number elsewhere.  

So, our choices are:
1) We walk away with the rental horn, and start saving for a well-known brand name horn (e.g., Selmer, Yamaha).
2) We pick up the Giardinelli horn by plunking down another $1000.

Does anyone know anything about Giardinelli?  We're going to ask around tomorrow, starting with the professional saxophonist who is giving my daughter private lessons, but I would appreciate any advice here.

Thanks, Tom

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tmbdab
    (2 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Giardinelli Eastman Alto Saxophone - GAS10 - Any good?

Follow-up:
    We heard from multiple people today (band teacher, pro saxophonist) that this is a terrible horn and a total ripoff.  Apparently, this poor-quality horn is made exclusively for Music & Arts, and it uses proprietary parts that make it difficult to repair anywhere but a Music & Arts shop.  Our band teacher purchased a few instruments from this outfit in the past year and they all fell apart very quickly.  So, I just thought I'd pass on this information to warn potential buyers.  We'll be keeping the rental horn, and saving up money to buy a known name-brand horn from a reputable dealer at a later date. 

Reply To Post

1. by JonHuff
      (117 posts)

8 years ago

Good luck in your search. I second the idea of sticking to an established name / brand. Otherwise you just can't know what you are getting. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by larryrauson
        (5 posts)

8 years ago

I recently play tested the Eastman 52st alto...impressive
        Rs Berkely Vituoso series also impressive, they are being marketed as pro horns, but not priced like a pro horn
        For the time being, I would stay away from the Conn Selmer horns like the prelude, or any selmer USA horn. As much as I treasure my vintage Conns, the current company produces toys.

Larry P. Rauson, Jr.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

8 years ago

Second that.  Conn-Selmer basically charges for their venerable brand names and the premium goes to a hedge fund.  I'd rather support businesses that actually contribute something of value.

Reply To Post