Saxophone Forum

by Sidney
(1 post)
19 years ago

Leon Freres saxophones

Does anyone have any information about a 1920's tenor sax with the following details on it:- Leon Freres, Paris, France, 110, Sole Agents Lewin Bros, 17 Moor Street, W1 London. This was played by my father in a dance band in the 1930's in London, England. Thanks for any help you can give.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Leon Freres saxophones

Wow Sidney, am I stumped! I can usually find even the most obscure makers listed somewhere in my references, but this one turned up zero. What you want to look for is Leon Brothers (Freres=Brothers), but I am sad to say I can't find a singe thing. Sorry. Best of luck in your search, perhapse someone else will be able to shed some light on this.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

I spent an hour on it, same result as above, and same reaction; very intriging, ill keep lookon fer a bit

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by jupiter2260
    (4 posts)

17 years ago

Hi, I also have a Leon Frere Tenor, No. 109. I want to sell it and am curious to get a ball park figure for sale. It was replated and repadded 15yrs ago, hasn't been played in 10yrs, needs some work. Mechanically in good working order. Can I put some photos on the net somewhere? Any feedback welcome! Thx

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

17 years ago

You can post them on a photo sharing site (such as Photobucket.com which is free) and post the links here, or send them to me and I will do it for you. Photos of the horn will definitely aid in identifying the make and model of this horn, and thus the value. I would be willing to bet the house that this is a stencil horn. Let me know if you need me to post the photos for you.

Reply To Post

1. by jupiter2260
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Leon Freres saxophones - photos

Hey, thanks for the feedback and kind offer to upload photos! I managed to do that on the site you sguuested: s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa196/jupiter2260 The pads and metal finish are in good condition. The only work needed at the moment is a slight leak in the S-piece that holds the mouthpiece (it must be made from a sheet that is soldered into a tube). Also needs new cork at mouthpiece end. Many thanks and any feedback welcome!

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Wow, that is a tough one to identify. It has some characteristics of a few French makers, but I can't finger one specific make or model that would wrap this up. This is an early horn (1920's or very early 30's) judging by the split bell keys, and nail file hatched side F#. No G# or E flat trill keys as found on many horns of this era (at least the American models and those European makers who drew their design inspirations from them i.e. Huller etc.) though. The distinctive side F# key and oval, leaf shaped bell guard attachment tabs might be the key to identifying this horn. Sorry I can't be of more help, but it looks like a nice example. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by jupiter2260
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

Many thanks for your comments! This sx remains a bit of a mystery but is definitely a nice instrument that could probably telll many stories if it could talk! Thanks

Reply To Post

3. by MaxMorpheus
          (1 post)

9 years ago

This thread is probably long lost - but I have the exact same alto - absolute beauty - kicks a Pan American Conn right into touch - beautiful simple and strong mechanics - bought it in 76 London - needs new bell pads but sweet tone - must learn to play better !!!

Reply To Post