Saxophone Forum

by cobra_sam
(11 posts)
19 years ago

Greetings to all

Don't know if this is the correct place to start but here goes ... My name is Sam and I have just purchased a Tenor Sax because I have always loved the sound and always wanted to play. I figured that If I don't buy one and start I will always regret it. The sax it new but came with a rough mouthpiece, so I purchased a Yamaha (plastic) one. I am 45 years old and found that the # 1 reeds I was told to buy don't work for me so I got some Rico # 2&half's and they feel smoother for me. Any info to help will be greatly appreciated. Should I use the setup I have ? buy a rubber or metal mouthpiece ? what number mouthpiece is best for starting ? Thank you ... kind regards Sam

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Greetings to all

grettings to you sam. does it work ok for you? different reeds, mouthpieces, and types combined with you, will all produce slightly different results. Much of will depend on you.

Reply To Post

2. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Greetings to all

Hey Sam, I think it is great you decided to start playing. As far as mouthpieces go I would definately start on a hard rubber, or plastic, instead of the metal. You will get a better and quicker response from a hard rubber. Metal mouthpieces are great but I would start on the others. Your old rough mouthpiece you found in the case might be something really cool, you never know. What is it? The Yamaha mouthpieces are not bad for beginners but as your sound, and technique, begin to develope you will want to upgrade. I start all my students on a 21/2 or a 3 strength and encourage them to work up to about a 3 or a 31/2. Your Ricos should be fine. Good luck and have fun!

Reply To Post