Saxophone Forum

by nad1rn
(37 posts)
19 years ago

rovner mouthpieces

i play on a yamaha 82 custom z and i am using an s 80 mouthpiece. I need a jazz mp, and have been looking at the rovner eagle. can anyone tell me about it. or can you recomend any others??? anything helps thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by caduceus02
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: rovner mouthpieces

Some thoughts on using a Rovner Eagle with a custom Z: I think it depends greatly on what you're going to be playing. It might be an overpowering set-up for straight-ahead jazz playing, but might work well for pseudo-jazz (e.g., Kenny G) or rock/pop. My impression of the custom Z is that it's darker than most Yamahas, and the Eagle lends a strong edge to your timbre that might offset this darkness. On other horns, the Eagle can be a bit thin and reedy, but the custom Z might compensate for this. I've found that using a softer reed than you're used to playing works well with rovner moutpieces. It seems to bring out more of a full tone. Other mouthpieces worth a look (particularly for use with a custom Z) include the rovner deep V (my favorite rovner), a custom Zagar (superior craftsmanship), or a good old Dukoff with an M or D chamber. Hope this helps...

Reply To Post AIM