Saxophone Forum

by nikick
(1 post)
19 years ago

Tenor mutes

i havent played for a while and like to get back into it. but i live in a dorm and and people get upset when i start playing. i was wondering if they mad a mute for tenor saxophones and where i could get one.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Tenor mutes

They Make mutes, but none would have the effect you desire. sax mutes are little 'doughnuts' placed in the bell. What they do is stop some of the bell's vibrations and remove overtones. They also will help to tune your flat low notes. To disquel the commom myth, THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO REDUCE SOUND AND DYNAMIC LEVELS.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've tried to make my 10M as loud as possible. Sax mutes are against my religious beliefs, considering that my 10M speaks with the voice of God! That mute bag is the dumbest thing I've seen possibly EVER IN MY LIFE!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

While I would NEVER carry a saxophone around in a soft-sided gig bag, this product is one that actually works to reduce the sound. I know a guy who used one in college and it apparently worked quite well. Looks like a joke, but to suppress an entire instrument with toneholes requires something that completely surrounds it. As stated, bell mutes are good for knocking down the higher overtones (warming the sound), but they don't reduce the overall volume except for the lowest notes. www.wwbw.com/El-Saxco-Silent-Bag-for-Saxophones-i84743.music

Reply To Post

1. by HarperLars
      (1 post)

19 years ago

Here is another one, look www.bill-lewington.com/silentsax.htm

Reply To Post