Saxophone Forum

by sardonic_z
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Search for a Conn successor

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but seems like there's a lot of good info and knowlege, so... I'm thinking very seriously about replacing my vintage Conn tenor, somewhere between a Chu Berry and New Wonder, sn#236xxx, silver plate. Yeah, sacrilege, I know, but I have kind of plateau'ed out on the finger technique with the old-school keywork, and I'm also tired of dealing with intonation issues and obstinate altissimo/overtones. What I'm really gonna miss, though, is the ballsy tone and the total ease in terms of free-blowing response that horn gives me. But, I might have an opportunity to have a custom tenor built for me by a very good tech/repair/builder. So I guess my question is, can anyone give me some thoughts on what exactly makes those old horns sound/respond the way they do? Rolled v. non-rolled tone holes? Different ore content in the brass alloy? Plating/lacquer? Bore size? Resonators, maybe? Also, does anyone know anything about copper plating? Any thoughts, opinions, or good solid info on woodwind sound physics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -Z

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Search for a Conn successor

Basically a combination of ALL the things you mentioned. I would suggest just building an updated copy of what you have. You can change the keywork some to better suit your playing, add a high F# key if needed, etc. I'd make a few adjustments to improve the intonation, but stick with what you already know works! I'd look at a Keilwerth SX 90 or an SX 90R (rolled tone holes). Keilwerth did essentially the same thing; took a vintage Conn saxophone and made an updated version of it. I'd study their action and keywork and apply some of their changes to your horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!