Saxophone Forum

by jushden
(17 posts)
19 years ago

frozen valve on trumpet.

hey i know this is a sax repair discussion but i came across an ok trumpet which is fine except that the first valve is frozen into place. its really not moving. i dont see any dents or anything like that. anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing unstuck.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: frozen valve on trumpet.

take the bottom end of the valve cap off, stick something soft to protect it in there, then hammer and a screwdriver. Rather barbaric sounding I know, but it will get it done. after its out, you may be able to see what the problem was. You can also try a slower method(much slower) and let it soak in valve oil

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

19 years ago

Are you storing it in like a really cold place? During a football game once, my trumpet valves literally froze (within like 30 seconds), and there was just a light snow out. Also, sometimes the third valve slide (the others somewaht less) get tiny tiny dents in them that effect the valves - even if you can't see them... maybe take it to a repair shop to just make sure. Another thiing...have you "given your trumpet a bath" lately? You're supposed to take out all the slides and valves and soak just the trumpet's "body" in water...run a snake cleaner through it to get out any buildup. There could be some in the valve slot, or in the valve. And remember --- valve oil! Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

I'm going off of what definition said... replace screwdriver with wood dowl and you're all good. NEVER use a harder metal punch on softer metal. Alwase try to use something softer. ;-)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM