Saxophone Forum

by jeanlelong
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Alto mouthpiece for altissimo

I've been struggling with altissimo on my otherwise suberb Conn 6M from 1940. I seem not to have too much trouble in getting good altissimo on my MkVI but 6M is a bit painful. Beechler S6S produces a surprisingly nice overall tone with 6M as 6M itself is ultra soft and Beechler very crispy. It doesn't, however, play easy altissimo. I have tried S7M but, as you might think, it's even harder to blow altissimo. So, any suggestions for a good altissimo mouthpiece? I've tried Meyer hr's, no go; Bari, no go; Rousseau, no go; Ponzol hr's, no go. Oleg ligature makes it even more difficult. Rico H-Series ligature comes closer. Should I go for Ponzol metal? Otto Link? Which binder? And, oh yes, the 6M is in fabulous shape, so the problem is not there.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto mouthpiece for altissimo

What hardness of reed are you using? I've found that with a fairly closed mouthpiece, like a Selmer C* for example, you'll want a harder reed to play altissimo. I have a hard time playing altissimo on a more open mouthpiece. A good all-around mouthpiece that won't break your wallet is the Rico Royal B3 graftonite piece. They're less than $20. Try one with a Rovner ligature and a #3 reed and see what you think. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jeanlelong
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

I'm using 3's and 3,5's. Any thicker reeds are too heavy for my style. I'll go for your suggestion. Thanks.

Reply To Post

3. by Ripken8
    (1 post)

19 years ago

My set is pretty simple and really nothing special about it.. I have a Selmer Balanced Action and use a Selmer C* and Hemke (3) and I have no problems going up and down in the altissimo registar...

Reply To Post

4. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

You might want to play around with fingerings. I know on tenor most of the suggested fingerings seem to work well on selmers but I've had to come up with some alterations for my Conn.

Reply To Post