Saxophone Forum

by debbie
(1 post)
19 years ago

elkhart saxaphone

i have inherited an elkhart saxaphone from my father. i know it was made in elkhart, indiana, but when? elkhart band-inst co., elkhart, indiana is engraved on the saxaphone. i have looked for a serial number but cannot find one. can anyone tell me about how old it is and what it might be worth? thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: elkhart saxaphone

Without a serial number, it's hard to tell you anything about it. A majority of the instruments were made in Elkhart, so that doesn't narrow things down too much. Buescher and Martin both made horns stenciled as "Elkhart". If you email me pictures of the keywork - the more close ups the better - I can help you sort out who made it and approximately when it was manufactured.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: elkhart saxaphone

Buescher, Conn and Martin all made Elkhart saxophones. Most were made by Buescher. Some of the earlier models were made by Conn (pre 1922) and were similar to the Wonder horns. Martin made a few altos and a C soprano under the Elkhart name. Send me some pics and I'll have a look, but chances are it was made between 1923-1927 by Buescher and resembles a True Tone model. these are the most common. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!