Saxophone Forum

by Saxerman
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Vintage and new saxes

More and more i see people getting vintage saxes instead of new ones cause its a lot cheaper. I'm just wondering which choice is more wise. My friends says to get a new one but others says to get vintage to save money. Which choice is better??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by eman19
    (131 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage and new saxes

I personally feel that vintage horns are the better buy than new horns. They're cheaper, usually better made, and have character. But they can require more effort to get them properly set up. The choice should not be based on age, but how the horn fits you.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

The problem with new horns is the retail markup. You buy a horn for $4500 who's street value is considerably less. With vintage or used horns, someone else has long since eaten the retailer's cut. Vintage are nice, but don't discount used modern instruments.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

find the one that's best for you. Don't limit yourself to just new or just vintage. Set a price range and go out shopping! speaking about vintage... my alto and tenor have a topless lady on them. Since Nakedness=awsomeness my horns are totally sweet! (click here if you don't know what "totally sweet" is www.realultimatepower.net )

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

find the one that's best for you. Don't limit yourself to just new or just vintage. Set a price range and go out shopping! speaking about vintage... my alto and tenor have a topless lady on them. Since Nakedness=awsomeness my horns are totally sweet! (click here if you don't know what "totally sweet" is www.realultimatepower.net )

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

**I didn't mean the triple post. The wireless network was weak and kicking me offline a lot.=(

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM