Saxophone Forum

by j_gally
(19 posts)
19 years ago

Milwaukee 720 Black Nickel & Gold Alto Saxophone

Im buying it off e-bay at about 800 USD... I think it is a nice sax.. brand new and college approved. I'm fond of the finish- black nickel with gold keys. I think this is a nice sax. What do you think of the Milwaukee brand??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by j_gally
    (19 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Milwaukee 720 Black Nickel & Gold Alto Saxophone

Or even I might try a vintage conn or 20M conn.. I am not sure. This is only my first year on the sax as I am in the sixth grade band. But my band teacher says I am extremely talented and should look in to buying a saxophone.. I am going to research as much as possible before buying. So like.. vintage or 20M conn (with dents and wear though..) or a new sax. I'm really not sure.

Reply To Post

1. by j_gally
      (19 posts)

19 years ago

Actually I just looked on ebay. There are tons of nice Conns for under 300. What is the difference between 20 and 21 and 24 and other numbers M? What does m mean?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

my .02 Black saxes are for when you're either, -really good, so you want to look good. -really bad and want people to notice the sax more than you. A sax isn't a hot date you bring to your 10 year high school reunion so you can show off to old friends and foes. No, it's for making music. as for conns, I know nothing about the ones you listed. I did play a 20 once for a while in high school. It was ok, kind of stuffy, heavy, and I liked my yahama better. I'm sure others could help you out more.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Never heard of Millwaukee saxophones....just a city in Wisconsin and their power tools. 20M's are decent. The 25M's are better. I wouldn't but an 18M or any that were made in Mexico. There are several nice used horns on Ebay for less than $800. Look at some of the Conn 6M's and the Buescher Aristocrates

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Firk
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

jim, i'd haveta say yes and no with your suggestions. dude ofcourse 6m's and aristocrates are sweet horns, but the kid's only in 6th grade. it's been my expirience (limited i'll admit) that starting on a student horn forces the player to work harder to find good intonation and speed in key work. so when he does mature, pickin up a pro horn will be a gift of the gods and the possibilities are endless. and don't be hatin on wisconsin man..it's where i roam lol ;). milwaukee's a fun place if ya look in the right places you get any info on that tenor neck for me? ~Firk

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

j gally - What is most important as a beginning player is that you have a reliable horn that is set up well. This board and others on the internet will fill your head with conflicting opinions and heresay. There's a lot of good information out there, too, but it takes time and experience to filter through it. Don't get too caught up in it at this point, and don't blow too much cash. I used to play on a brand new shiny $3000 saxophone and have since gotten rid of it as I found a $300 horn that plays just as well. I'd still be playing my original student horn from 25 years ago if it wasn't so ugly and beat up. The safest bet is to get a horn locally that the shop will back up in case it needs adjustments in the near term. Saxophones are mechanically prone to many many issues that will prevent it from playing properly. Going the eBay route - especially on used horns - could expose you to many unanticipated troubles that could cost you as much as the horn itself - or more. The Milwaukee might be a decent horn - do they offer a return policy or any service warranty? If they dont back up their horns in that way, then I would be weary.

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I don't think there is a better alto to start a kid out on than a later6M. They're built rock solid, have a great sound, good intonation and a smooth reliable action. A 6M would take him through college. I started out playing a 10M tenor in 6th grade. The same one I play now. Like sax_maniac said, the best bet is to shop locally and buy from a dealer who can set the horn up properly and offer a guarantee. I've seen some really good buys on ebay, but you really have to be careful and ask questions. Even still, if you buy on ebay, plan on taking the horn to a dealer to have it inspected and adjusted. You can almost be certain that the horn will need some adjustment. Firk, I haven't had a chance to check back on the neck yet, but I will call my tech tomorrow and see if he's located a neck. He was quite sure that he had one. He has a lot of old parts. Not hatin' on Millwaukee. I was there a couple years ago, and had a great time!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jlb
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

I am a repair tech and I can honesty tell you that Milwaukee horns are crap!! The adjustments dont hold, the metal is rediculously soft, the soprano I am working on now isnt even made of brass!! It has some mystery brass-like plating on it. I would RUN AWAY from these horns. They are made in Taiwan and generally sold by music stores that are looking for something that is cheap for them that they can mark way up. Do NOT buy this brand!!

Reply To Post