what sax is thebest

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What sax is the best

That's a wide-open question! For what? What type of music are you playing? Are we talking alto, tenor, soprano or baritone? How old is the person who will be playing the sax and how much experience has he/she had? There are many things to consider, but in the end, the BEST sax is the one that suits your needs and feels the most comfortable to you.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by p-apple
      (49 posts)

19 years ago

I'll take a stab at this although your question is rather vague... (the following are alto models but they're usually made for soprano, alto, tenor too) Modern Beginner Horn - Yamaha 23 (Definitely a solid beginner saxophone that is sturdy and plays well. The intonation is virtually equal to modern professional horns and can beat virtually every vintage horn intontionally) Modern Professional Horn 1) Yamaha 62 (The difference between I and II isn't a whole lot. Good horn for budget) 2) Yamaha 82z (You should try this as a lot of people like it and it's one of the cheaper professional) 3) Yamaha 875 EX (Supposed to be more for classical players but can play jazz and classical) 4) Yanagisawa 901 (It's a great intermediate model) 5) Yanagisawa 991 (An underslung neck, however not a true underslung. Excellent keywork) 6) Selmer Series II (A solid player but is not cheap) 7) Selmer Reference (One of the most expensive modern horn. One of my favorites) Vintage 1) Conn 6M (This is a true underslung, however the keywork is not that great like most early vintage) 2) King Zephyr (Like 6m the keywork isn't that great, big sound... the precursor to the famed super 20) 3) Balanced Action (I can't remember if the one I played was SBA or BA. This saxophone is pretty much the pioneer of keywork. Virtually all the modern saxophones are modeled on its keywork or similar* I think*) 4) Mark VI (A very good sound *on the one I played* and is definitely the most famous and expensive saxophone. You should try this one...) There's a lot of other great horns but those are only the ones I've tried before. - William Chen

Reply To Post

1. by bronzemonkey992
        (22 posts)

19 years ago

Mr. Chen, For the Yanagisawa 991, you mentionits not a true underslung neck. What defines a true underslung neck. Are the King Super 20s truely underslung? Thanks, Shaun

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by p-apple
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

Hello Shaun, so basically a true undrslung has the octave hole/key on the bottom of the neck. I'm not familiar with the king super 20s. If it has the octave hole on the bottom instead of the top it's a true underslung. the yanagisawa is a bit of a mix of the two worlds. the octave lever is usually on the top, however on the yani 991 it goes from the bottom of the neck to the top where the hole of the octave resides. will

Reply To Post

2. by semipro
          (17 posts)

19 years ago

The super 20 has the same setup as the Yani. I would also like to make a statment on the Conn Horns. I own both a 6M and a 26M and for me I like the key work. Where I find them lacking (mine at least) is in the sound. I actually like my sound on my friend's New Wonder Conn that pre dates both my horns by 20 years.

Reply To Post