Saxophone Forum

by gkdjester
(1 post)
19 years ago

Jazz Tenor Mouthpiece

I'm in the market for a new Jazz Tenor Sax mouthpiece. Ive gotten back into playing in a jazz band and i really want to get a good jazz mouthpiece. I did jazz all through high school but i've just been playing on the side in college when i have time. Im about to graduate and want to get back into it. I played bari for years and was all state back in the day, it will always be my true love, but i really like the versatility of tenor. Im playing on a selmer mouthpiece now but it's time to graduate up to something that speaks more and and has a good, rich sound. I just need some suggestions before i invest in a jazz piece. For some reason im a little clueless on the meaning of the info like the "baffle" and 4m, 3R, 8s, etc also. So if someone could clue me in that be great. Any comments at all? Your favorites? p.s. im in the market for a new tenor too, with a budget, what's a good pro sax for the money?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jazzon
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz Tenor Mouthpiece

I'm on the look out for a good jazz mouthpiece at the moment to. I'm now purchasing a Vandoren Jumbo Jazz mouthpiece. I'm not much of an expert on baffle sizes and stuff like that but the net would have info on that. I myself play a pro sax Jupiter Artist Series. They are awesome and are real good value for money! Hope this helps and good luck

Reply To Post

1. by saxbob
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

Try this web link: www.du.edu/lamont/Mpce.html. You will find a list of mpc setups of many of the pro players. I'm not a pro, but, in case you are wondering, I play a 1963 Buescher 400 with Otto Link Super Tone Master metal mpc and Vandoren V16 size 3 reed. Awesome combination - from my point of view. Hope the web link helps.

Reply To Post

2. by mj_sax
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

Before you select your tenor mouthpiece...please try one of the Phil Barone custom mouthpieces...wow!!!! google: Phil Barone

Reply To Post

1. by Nichwan_is
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

A jazz mouthpiece is completely your own choice. My advise is to try hundreds of them then dicide on what mouth piece give you the sound you want. Also use a chromatic tuner when choosing... as you dont want a mouthpiece that has little control for you. I play an otto link 7* metal mpc at the moment and thats great. Also I used to play a berg larsen 110/1/sms which also was good. But really the berg was too harsh for me as i was a smoothe tone. I recommend a serious look at the otto links and selmers as good jazz mpc. Usually you can just play one note and know that the mouthpiece is for you.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

I'm getting a new tenor period. I'm going with the recommendation of an Otto Link. I'm getting the OL New York Metal in *7. From the reviews I've read, that's the chambering I want to go with. I hope it's the one. Time will tell.

Reply To Post