Saxophone Forum

by syreetamycd
(1 post)
19 years ago

I have a problem...I can't play high notes on my saxophone.

I can't play a high F or E on my sax. What's the matter, and how can I fix it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by carle vickers
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: I have a problem...I can't play high notes on my saxophone.

investigate the harmonic series on the saxophone. books like "Top Tones" by Sigard Rascher. Basically you will learn how to produce high notes without the use of pressure. A less scientific approach would be to just simply practice long tones extending your range by half-steps very slowly. Playing in the upper register comfortably requires persistance and patience. Never Give Up!

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

I'd make sure that the there isn't a mechanincal problem. If you can play the D and Eb the E and F should just be opening the correct palm keys.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It could be one or all of several factors from reed/mouthpiece combination to leaky pads, bent or damaged octave tubes, etc. Most likely, there is a leak. I would take the horn to a tech and have it checked

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by p-apple
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

Connsaxman_jim is probably right. the high keys get a ton of the spit and saliva because they are located on the top of the saxophone. If the pad looks beaten up, I'd get new pads for it right away.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Usually the pad's black and green, and doesn't look very well. It might just require a little brush to get out the corrosive material. If not, new pads are a good idea. Take your horn to your teacher or tech and get it checked out.

Reply To Post