Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Need some more help..

this is sort of building upon my previous post.. i need better tone.. im happy with my setup i know that i can get a good sound out of the setup i have. no product is going to make me a player, i am.. but i need exercises for tone development.. right now im working on overtones like a bi*ch.. im only doing the octave right now.. doing whole notes at 60 on Dr. Beat.. Bb----Middle Bb ... B----------Middle B C#---------Middle C# and so on and so forth up untill D and maybe E, im working on getting control of that so i can do it 90% of the time and someone can tell me play octave B with low b fingering and i can do it right away.. after i get that ima start workin on the 5th degree and stuff.. but i know there are more exercises for hte development of tone.. im mainly want to work on high C up to the altissimo range.. and below low G getting those notes thicker, fuller, with more meaning.. my altissimo is terrible, thin, tinny, shrilly.. my low notes are ill supported, muddy and often jump an octave out of nowhere and its not a mechanical problem on my horn.. some may be support, playing with a constant flow of air, emboucher or w/e.. but i know there is more to it to getting an "open" more sonorous thick sound.. also are there any exercises for pitch? and developing your ear? and developing your pitch on your horn?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need some more help..

first of all i wish at your age i had half the dedication you seem to have but now let me ask you a question do you think there could ever be a "good player" who plays mostly by ear. what i mean knows notes but picks up melodies by ear? how does he do this. assuming he does it well.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

i read the other post about scales well here is another question, please tell me if im wrong. if you know all the scales and don't have the music or, you need to improvise, how do you know where the accidentals and the naturals are??? doesn't this come from a general ear for how music should sound and where it naturally progresses? knowing the scale will do little for you if you unless the entire piece is within the key.

Reply To Post

3. by saabtech
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

hey man, check this out... this is something that i just do naturally now... when i play i try to open my throat when i play, pushing air through my oral cavity. imagine trying to swallow a golf ball when playing. this is what i have to do to get that much warmer sweeter tone... hopefull this makes sense. it's what i've learned about 18yrs ago when i was in junior high. hope it helps! sonny d. pa

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

ok, some ideas.... first listen to as much as you can, find true masters of their craft, and not just saxophonists. Find the best recordings of cellists, singers, violinists, whatever instrument you can. This will give you a better overall concept of sound, which will almost automatically be incorporated into yours. Second, EXERCISE. a combination of weight training and aerobics will give you the facility to produce a stronger and steadier air flow, as well as have more control over that air flow. Just some thoughts....

Reply To Post