Saxophone Forum

by JohnG
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Conn 28M

How does the sound/action of a Conn 28M compare to a Conn 6M. I am curious as to why no one ever seems to have any comment on them. I bought one off e-bay to upgrade my son from a YAS23 and find the sound to be more pleasing to my ear(It has a bigger brassier sound to me) Why do you never hear about pro's using this horn. My son says the action feels little easier to play than on his YAS23.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by p-apple
    (49 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn 28M

The main reason above all is because the conn 28m along with the conquerer are pretty rare as compared to the conn 6m so not a lot of people know about those models. I think the 28m should be very similar to 6m and if my memory serves me correct it's a notch above the 6m. - william

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

The Conn 28M is known as the Connstellation Model. Santy Runyon, a great player and mouthpiece designer gave input in designing this horn. It's one of the most rare production Conns, and you won't find a conn like it. It's a great horn, and is expected to go for around 2000, and is much higher than the YAS23. This model was only made in alto, plans were made for it to be produced in tenor, however it never was. Here's the original ad for the horn. As I mentioned before, Santy Runyon was the main guy for advertising and aided in input. www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/conn/28m/28M_ad.jpg Interesting Horn -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by JohnG
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the reply's. I paid $1127 for my son's off e-bay. At the time there were 2 others for sale just before Christmas. If I recall correctly one went for $750 but was in questionable condition. And the other did not sell initially but was lator relisted and sold for quite a bit more than mine I think around $1700. My son's came with new pads and a custom lexon keyguard. It did not have the original plastic keyguard but I like the looks of the custom keygaurd better and it is much more durable. One key needed to be straighted but other than that my son says it plays great. I havn't seen one for sale since then though. I was able to buy a Conn Comet mouthpiece from Runyon that Santy Runyon designed especially for this saxophone. They said they only had a couple left. I thought I read somewhere that the body had a different design thats why I wondered how the sound compared to the 6M. I could be wrong on that one though. Is it possible to post photo's on this forum?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've yet to play a Connstellation because they are so rare, but I have heard that they are the nicest alto Conn has ever made. The 28M was more like the 14M directors model alto than the 6M. They were only made just a couple years. the Connstellation came out in 1952 and competed with the highly popular Selmer SBA. At this point in time, the market for profession model saxophones was on the decline. When Selmer released the MK VI in 1954, the successful and still popular MK VI dominated what little professional market was left. Conn discontinued the Connstellation because of slow sales and chose to concentrate on the student-intermediate market. Conn turned to the schools to market their horns, and then a few years later, Selmer took over the school market also with their Bundy line. Selmer tried to purchase Conn many times, and Leland Greenfield even feared that the Selmer company might try to take over Conn. For many years, Conn was Selmer's biggest competitor, even though Conn built horns for Selmer. When Selmer bought Buescher in 1963, the sought to also buy a large share of Conn's student-intermediate market. Kind of shrewed, but that's business I suppose.

Reply To Post Yahoo!