Saxophone Forum

by s9ast
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Sopranos - Mark VI vs. Series III

Any opinions on which is "better"? (I realize it is a very subjective question.) The re-design of the spatula keys on the Series III seems easier to play, but what do you all think about the tone and the range consistency between the Mark VI and the Series III?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The_MarkVI
    (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sopranos - Mark VI vs. Series III

For soprano.. I would have to say series III but i would prefer any yani or yamaha before any selmer soprano.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have a Selmer Series III soprano that is a little over a year old and I'm not all that happy with it. I thought I got a good deal on it when I bought it, but if I had to do over again I would have bought a Keilwerth or a Yanigasawa. The Mk VI sopranos were never really as popular as the alto or tenor. I wouldn't suggest a Selmer soprano.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by s9ast
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

thanks folks - that's the kind of real life recommendations I'm looking for.

Reply To Post

2. by selmerfan
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

I've played both models quite a bit, and a yanigasawa quite a bit, the Serie III was the best of the three by far, but we took it to the factory in Indiana and had is set-up and tuned just how we wanted it, it was the university's horn, but I was the lead sax player in the studio, so it was pretty much mine for three years. selmerfan

Reply To Post

1. by s9ast
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

OK - Looks like the Mark VI soprano isn't getting good reviews. I've been looking into the Keilwerth SX90 II and Yani 991. So what are the thoughts on the shape: straight, straight with curved neck, and curved? I had a Vito (straight) for a few years, and don't think I ever got used to the position (I'm primarily a tenor player). So I'm tending now toward something with at least a curved neck. But why aren't fully curved sopranos more popular?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think a straight soprano is really the way to go. They seem to have the best intonation. I suppose it's really more of a matter of preference. The Keilwerth SX 90 is a great horn, and so is the Yani 991. You can't go wrong with either one. I would pick the Keilwerth or Yani over the Selmer definately, and I own the Selmer series III. I'm thinking about selling it and getting an SX 90

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I think a straight soprano is really the way to go. They seem to have the best intonation. I suppose it's really more of a matter of preference. The Keilwerth SX 90 is a great horn, and so is the Yani 991. You can't go wrong with either one. I would pick the Keilwerth or Yani over the Selmer definately, and I own the Selmer series III. I'm thinking about selling it and getting an SX 90

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Whoa! I kept getting an error message when I tried to post. I didn't think it worked. I guess it did! Sorry

Reply To Post Yahoo!