Saxophone Forum

by gardner
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Arta Guban

I recently obtained a tenor sax from a friend of mine. Engraved is "Arta Guban Romania", nickel plated,metal resonators, new pads, mint shape. can anyone tell me anything about this brand horn, any mouthpieces/reed combo that would sound good with it for jazz? Thanks, sean

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Altoman
    (1 post)

16 years ago

Re: Arta Guban

G'Day Sean, I just purchased an Arta Guban Luxor Solo on eBay it's still in transit, from the couple of pics in the listing it looks to be a stunning looker - but what sort of sound can I expect and did you ever find out much about these horns? Regards, Andy

Reply To Post

1. by nuendosan
      (2 posts)

13 years ago

Hey Sean I just almost by accident came across an Arta Guban Luxor Solo Alto saxophone, and has found out, that they were made in Hungary from late 60ies to arround mid 1980. My horn is a silver glass blast body with lush engravings and a goldwash inner bell. Being the owner of an SML Gold Medal alto and a Yamaha costum Alto I must say: NOT IMPRESSED. The mecanics are simple and with only little adjustment options, and the intonation at the bottom is of by a quater tone from low C and down. But if you want a very nice mantlepiece for display - it will do the job very nicely. AND the case that came along with it looks like Count Draculas coffin on the inside....

Reply To Post

1. by nuendosan
        (2 posts)

13 years ago

UPS.... small correction.... its made in Romania.

Reply To Post