Saxophone Forum

by sirmarkus2
(11 posts)
19 years ago

College auditions; what to do?

I am auditioning at a great University in my state on Alto. I am wondering what I can play that will give me the greatest chance for high placement and schollarship. Ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jromain
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

Re: College auditions; what to do?

Hi- As a college sax prof. who hears a number of auditions each year, I can tell you that it has little to do with *what* you play, and much to do with *how* you play it. The Bozza aria, played with a beautiful sound, attention to vibrato, and sensitivity to phrasing and tempi, is far more impressive than a student attempting to impress by attempting, say, the 3rd Mvt. of Creston's Sonata and playing it unmusically. From my point of view, you have plenty of time to learn the repertoire once you get here, but I want to know if you have enough care for what you do to prepare a graceful and beautiful performance. Having said that, all things being equal, playing solid repertoire doesn't hurt. Creston 2nd mvt., Tableaux de Provence, Heiden Sonata are all examples of pieces that are, for the most part, accessible by serious high-school students and may showcase your talents well in a college audition. Good luck! JR

Reply To Post