Saxophone Forum

by Selmer_Sax
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Squeaks, Reeds... need some advice

Alright, so here's the deal. I'm playin a Selmer Mark 6... Otto Link Super Tone Master 6... and using Rico Royal 3. I'm definitely liking the sharp sound of the brass mouthpiece, but ever since i started using it, I can't stop sqeaking when i play a G. Any advice on how to prevent/fix it? Also, the reeds im usin now are crap, any advice on a new reed?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tenor_Guru
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Squeaks, Reeds... need some advice

Your problem is most likely the reed... I had the same problem. Try 2 1/2 vandoren java or ZZ. That might fix your problem.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Selmer_Sax
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah.. i just bought some new Rico Select Jazz 3 Hard... they're awesome, the longer vamp provides more stability so it doesn't go all crazy and i stopped squawking... it just fits my mouthpiece better

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

Yea I'm running into the same sort of problem. Is it reed or could it be ligiature as well? I got a Conn Precision plastic mouthpiece with Hempke 3's. They blow nice, and the squeaking (G and a few notes within that range) is tempermental. Comes and goes. I think I do need to get a new ligiature. It's a bent to crap piece of sumtin or other. Any suggestions while we're at it? I was looking at Selmer...

Reply To Post

1. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

3H rico jazz select on metal???? go softer. Right now on my otto link 7* i use the 2H. Alot of professionals use this set up. TRY THE 2H

Reply To Post

2. by diminishedpower
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

Actually i have a metal berg and the 2h had to thin of a tone. I perfer 3s much more, gave a fuller sound.

Reply To Post