Saxophone Forum

by thebru
(1 post)
19 years ago

Oliver Ditson Sax???

I have an old sax, I fiquare at least 75 years old. It has no brand name on it. In the scroll work on the front it says"Made Expressly for Oliver Ditson Co. Boston- New York". It's a silver low pitch alto sax. Any one out there have any ideas what this might be????

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by alejoalb54
    (1 post)

9 years ago

Re: Oliver Ditson Sax???

I have a saxophone that says Made expressly for Oliver Ditson Co. Boston - New York. Number: 78553. low pitch. Pat license. Dec. 8.1914.

Reply To Post

2. by a3bink
    (4 posts)

18 years ago

I bought one just like that last week. It's a Buescher True Tone stencil. I'm also curious to learn more on this alto. So if anyone has some more info...

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

best was is to post a picture as buescher conn martin etc made many stencils, one may be buescher made but conn or martin could have put in a lower price later on and they could have made them Dave

Reply To Post

1. by a3bink
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

I have made some pictures and put them online :

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Its definately a buescher made stencil and its got the low aux Eb key (lift low E finger whilst still holding F and D ) and alternate G# trill key but no high aux F key so it's very old around 1920 and a true tone stencil Dave

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

I agree with Dave. I must say though, when I first saw this thread I thought it said Ditsin, the famed brass instrument maker. Hence I was rather curious over him making a sax... oops

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by a3bink
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Any idea on what it might be worth ? I bought it rather impulsively and am very curious if I really paid a decent price.

Reply To Post

4. by a3bink
          (4 posts)

18 years ago

Can the sax be tracked through it's serial number, 93053 ? For original saxes I know this is possible, but for stencils ?

Reply To Post

5. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

Stencils dont follow the main factory serial numbers but your number comes up to 1921 built so its possible it was built at the main buescher factory as this date could be correct but no newer and its possibly older then 1921 as all horns i have seen had pearl touches by then Dave

Reply To Post

6. by Zemper
          (7 posts)

18 years ago

I just purchased a Ditson stencil xed C Soprano, and it plays in tune and tears it up, this thing sounds great. I think mine is a Martin Stencil. We OD stencil owners should come together to study exactly what we have here, and what the connecting tissue is between our instruments. Were these his personal instruments or his attempt at his own line of saxes? Lets get to the bottom of it.... Thanks, Adam Aftab

Reply To Post

7. by kindcreations
          (2 posts)

17 years ago

Hello, I just purchased a Oliver Diston Sax from an estate sale serial number 155803 low pitch. Have you found any more information on these Oliver sax's. This sax is silverplated marked Boston New York. Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Jen

Reply To Post

8. by [email protected]
          (1 post)

16 years ago

I'm bidding on it right now. I want it for my kid.

Reply To Post