Saxophone Forum

by JAYSAX23
(12 posts)
19 years ago

Scales

I am really having trouble trying to play my last 4 major scales I only know my first 8. Is this good or bad? What should I do?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Scales

Practice, practice, practice!! That is the only way to learn them. Also, make sure you know your circle of 5ths, that will help tremendously. Also one last thing you should do is make sure you arent thinking enharmonically. If the scale is say, Ab major, dont try and play it in sharps, think of it in in flats (try that one in sharps actually, you'll only have 9 sharps!!)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by JAYSAX23
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

THANKX ALOT DEF FOR THE TIPS I WILL BE USING THEM JAYSAX23

Reply To Post

1. by KSsaxophone
        (57 posts)

19 years ago

What I do to practice the major scales is start on one (say Bb concert) and play it ascending, and when I get to the top, switch to the next scale one half step up (B concert) and come down. Then when I get to the the bottom, I play the next scale one half step up (Ab concert), then go back up... you get the idea. Hope that helps

Reply To Post

2. by jusjop
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

use a metronome! start slow and once perfected speed up.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jaggtagg7
        (40 posts)

19 years ago

circle of 4th/5ths. my director calls it the cirlce of 4ths. first few times i had not clue what this "new" circle was. what i do/did was to play the scales from memory all mixed in to memorize them, in a random order. but then still make sure to know the circle of 4ths/5ths.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

19 years ago

dont "practice" by reading off of a paper.. do it if u dont know the scale.. but then go away from the paper, look at a wall and close ur eyes and play the scale 10x from memory full range of your horn.. if u screw up.. back to the paper 10x perfect.. isolote and repeat.. but i cant stress enuf dont read off of a paper.. u get nothing from that..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Another good thing for you to pick up while working on scales and what not is the Rubank book, Selected Studies for Saxophone.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM