Saxophone Forum

by ddeg10
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Which facing suits me? (mouthpiece)

I've played Tenor Saxophone for 7 years (In middle/high school) and was never educated on mouthpieces. I always wondered why I was unable to hit a lot of low notes correctly (my terrible hard plastic mouthpiece). After doing some research I found that a proper mouthpiece can do wonders. My question is, which size facing should I get? I enjoy playing high notes a great deal, but I also haven't tasted many low notes because of how long I've had this junk mouth piece. The past couple of years I have rarely played my sax but have recently started again (about an hour or 2 a week). Im looking to start playing more in the coming months. I figured an Otto Link 7 mouthpiece would suit me well based on research I've done and for the styles I want to play. Will this size facing allow me to go high like I enjoy doing but also hit those low notes I've missed playing? Just for everyones information, my saxophone is an Armstrong Tenor Sax. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ddeg10
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Which facing suits me? (mouthpiece)

Just checked the current mouthpiece - it's a 4*. I cant believe the instructor never mentioned this throughout high school. I mentioned to im the difficulty I had hitting low notes that sounded right.

Reply To Post

1. by ddeg10
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

PLEASE RESPOND

Someone please help me.Thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: PLEASE RESPOND

Well part of your problem is the Armstrong Tenor sax! Those are some of te biggests POSes i've seen, and with the swampiest keywork imaginable. Other than that, dont go automatically blaming everything on the mouthpice. 1) Have the horn checked for leaks, you probably have some. 2) Make sure you are using proper breath support your mouthpiece is a 4* what? For your level of playing(highschoo) that should be perefectly acceptable

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Which facing suits me? (mouthpiece)

The mouthpiece can be a big part of the problem with playing low notes, as can the presense of even small leaks, improper technique, and poor accoustical design. In any event, trying a new mouthpiece may help, and certainly a poor mouthpiece will hurt. As a general rule, longer faced mouthpieces grant a little better response on the low notes, as do smaller tip openings on harder reeds. Most important, I think, is in getting a piece with a "good" facing. Some manufacturers are a bit inconsistent on their facings, while some others are much better by reputation. Try a couple mouthpieces out at a local store that allows such a thing and buy the exact one you like.

Reply To Post