Saxophone Forum

by Underthefold
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Cool/Unique sax effects

Any cool effects or licks that are really unique any of you guys enjoy to play, or heard on some recording and really liked? effects I like to do. -Distortion -sing or scream with the notes. -growls -Diatomic stuff. -Guitar like tapping -Guitar like wahs -hard tonguing -subtoning. -altissimo notes, going realllllllllly high. -flutter tonguing -Triple tonging

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Cool/Unique sax effects

Since you're triple tongueing, try and learn double tongueing. Its actually a little harder to do but equally as useful.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Underthefold
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

It is actually harder. I can double tongue, but I cant do it for long periods of time without going a little faster or slower without really concentrating. Why is that though?

Reply To Post

1. by Firk
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

what kind of setup is needed for distortion? i would imagine a mic, pedal, and amp.... how much does something like this cost? ~Firk

Reply To Post

2. by BurnPianoIslandBurn
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

omgsh yes i totally was interested in getting distortion and any other effect for the sax.. so my friend and i took a distortion pedal and a standard guitar amp and connected it to a microphone. This created a TON of earsplitingly loud feedback until i would play into the mic, in which i would get a nice distorted sound that was louder and "distorted". I'm not sure if there is a way to get past that nasty feedback, tho my friend reccomended getting a better mic. give it a try if u can and IM/ email / post the results! :P

Reply To Post AIM

3. by yojimbo
      (1 post)

18 years ago

For the electronics..... Unfortunatley to achieve a solid sound without a lot of feedback and such, you need to buy a few components that don't make cool sounds.... they help shape them. A good gate, coupled with a compressor will generally help reduce feedback even with distortion. The way my rig is set up I have an A/B box that goes to my clean and dirty amp. The dirty amp is just a small practice amp that has a drive switch on it... nothin' fancy. It does however make it easy to have a nasty distortion that won't feedback. (just mic it for the gig like a guitar player would) The key I have found is running a 31 band EQ in your rack. If you have feedback issues, just let the frequency ride out (with earpluds in) and cut it with your EQ. Another good idea is to run a small mixer. Plug your mic into CH. 1..... this will give your dry sound. Run a 1/4" cable out of your AUX out to the beginning of your effects chain. Connect the 1/4" cable at the end of your chain to a D.I. Box and run a mic cable back into CH. 2 of your mixer. On CH. 1, turn your aux knob up to your desired level. On CH. 2, gradually turn the trim and fader up to mix in your wet sound. Along with the 31 Band EQ, this will help to adjust the wider frequencies, and with the Gate it will help to cut back on feedback when using wha pedals, distortion, etc. A fun unit to play with that I haven't seen here yet.... Digitech Whammy pedal!!! to hear examples of how I work with electronic effects go to www.electrosonicsmusic.com or www.myspace.com/electrosonics The Happiest Bunch of Kid's You'll Ever Meet is a fun one (and a good example of why you should get a EQ and Gate/Compressor as this was before I picked one up)

Reply To Post

4. by clamness
      (13 posts)

16 years ago

how about the most annoying... finger high A on the left hand, Eb on the right then lip up and down until your band director tells you to stop which will be after about a second and a half

Reply To Post

1. by saxhouse
        (1 post)

12 years ago

OMG lol i forgot about this.  Thanks it sure is the band director dog whistle.  

Reply To Post

5. by FutureBandTeacher
      (45 posts)

19 years ago

What effects can you achieve without any equipment other than the regular school band setup?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The only digital effects that I have found useful for saxophone are reverb, delay, chorus, and flange. I use a combination flange and delay for songs like "Maneater" by Hall and Oats. Flange is also nice for "You Belong To The City" By Glen Frye. I use Chorus on songs like "Careless Whisper" by Wham, The One You Love, by Glen Frye and other slow ballads where I want a silky-smooth, usually alto sound. I like just a touch of reverb for most songs, and sometimes a little delay. I've tried experiments, like playing through a Leslie speaker. I even tried using a talk box, and playing through other guitar stomp pedals. Some sounded neat, others sounded like crap!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by brace_face
          (43 posts)

19 years ago

uh, whats a flange???

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

What effects can you achieve without any equipment other than the regular school band setup? Other than vibrato and growling, not a whole lot. I made up this song I call "Jive Turkey", which is a funky "Parlament Inspired" song that actually requires an assistant and a trumpet mute! It's pretty cool! I use an envelope filter to get that same funky wah wah sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Ahh dont forget the flutter tongue!! that can be done with out any other special equipment

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Er087
            (7 posts)

19 years ago

you can also do a kind of wah wah sound without any special equipment. also, i was wondering what the "guitar like tapping" is.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by EL Seano
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

hey how do you double tongue or triple tongue anyways?

Reply To Post

1. by lejazzhotsax
            (15 posts)

19 years ago

Simply alternate tongueing with a gutteral articulation using a guu or kuu syllable. Flutes and brass commonly use tu and ku but i found it more helpful to think of alternating dew and goo syllables. I actually had a lousy sax teacher when I first learned and was throat tongueing everything so when i learned how to use my tongue, the double tongue was real easy for me. You can practice by trying to get a clean articulated sound of your gutteral attacks before alternating. Try experimenting with ka ka or ga ga and see which works best for you. Then try alternating that with your tongue Ta or Da. Takes a while but is worth it. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by saxybandgeek_88
              (10 posts)

19 years ago

Another fun thing that's a little hard but doesn't take any special equipment is thunking. Fun stuff.

Reply To Post

2. by lejazzhotsax
              (15 posts)

19 years ago

okay, I'll bite... What's a thunk?

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

i use an effects processor. I use mostly reverb and delay, occasionally chorus and flange. Delay is great for songs like Turn The Page, and Maneater by Hall and Oats and Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean. I use a little chorus on Careless Whisper. It all depends on what I am playing and the type of sound I am looking for. I use a diaphragm vibrato occasionally, though I don't often use vibrato. The diaphragm is a little harder to learn correctly, but there are a lot of advantages over throat vibrato, and I find that it sounds much better. Legit players will disagree. I'm not a legit player obviously. There are other effects that I do, like growling, and bending notes. I can almost make my sax sound like a trumpet, and have even played around with trumpet mutes and things.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by lejazzhotsax
              (15 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, waitaminute! Mutes don't work on saxes unless you're talking about the low Bb or some fingering that closes everything down, right?

Reply To Post

5. by ameetp
              (14 posts)

19 years ago

You people are missing the obvious...a multiphonic! Here's one: Play a low Bb. Lift up your low C key. Here's another: Play a low C. Lift up your D key. There are many more and they sound pretty cool. I also have an interesting talent; I can slap-tounge really really loud. It is an amazing sound; everyone around turns to see what it was, because it doesn't sound like anything, and on a bari, its huge.

Reply To Post

6. by selmer 4evr
              (309 posts)

19 years ago

Anyone interested in multi-phonic fingering chart ????

Reply To Post

7. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

I think 'thunking' is a slang term for slap tongueing, which is quite difficult but nevertheless possible to achieve. And sorry for being ignorant, but what are multiphonics?

Reply To Post

8. by selmer 4evr
              (309 posts)

19 years ago

they are chords tha'ts right sax can play chords COOL huh

Reply To Post

9. by GzsKerqt
              (77 posts)

19 years ago

Yes! Can u show the fingering chart? Thx

Reply To Post

10. by afterglows_fanson
              (18 posts)

19 years ago

Funny that u guys are talking about this. My audio tech teacher and I where joking about doing Vocalise with some effects that we have in the sound board. He's never realy done effects on sax, but we thought it might be fun. I'de like the multi-phonic fingering chart btw. I always forget how to play them and theyre quite fun for annoying peoople. lol.

Reply To Post

11. by CajunSax
              (76 posts)

19 years ago

hey selmer guy...i'd like 2 see that fingering chart...i like playing low Eb and lifting the G key - kind of a 'whisper' multi phonic. I also do some multi-altissimo nasty stuff. Sometimes I even play 2 saxes at once (props to Dana Colley of Morphine). As far as effects processors & pedals...i got one of those Jimmy Hendrix Wah pedals going into a vocal harmonizer. I use all kinds of the effects, which were intended for the voice, to make some funky sounds. My roommate does sound design for the movie industry and he loves the stuff I come up with. Check out the site for Average White Band...Freddy V explains in pretty good detail how he uses his harmonizer to get a full horn section sound out of one sax. And for the guy getting all the feedback...point the speaker away from the mic...that should help...run earphones or a monitor if u wanna hear yourself.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

12. by BurnPianoIslandBurn
              (6 posts)

19 years ago

thx calikjn, my friend and i are definitely gonna experiment some more with effects. ok i have to post the ultimate effect that i would so do if possible. Somehow have smoke billow from the bell of the sax during a solo (does not have to be intense could be a very chill and mellow effect). I saw some funny cartoon of this and cant help but fantasize... ^^

Reply To Post AIM

13. by CajunSax
              (76 posts)

19 years ago

sounds cool - but don't try that with my Mark VI's. It's either gonna be dry ice or some insense stick in your bell....and i aint down with either. But i'd be totally into that for a Yamaha though. I've actually had smoke & all that stuff all over the stage, but not out of the bell.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

14. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

19 years ago

Haha, I learned some "Laugh" Effects from some website (forgot the link) You just play like a high B and go down chromatically tonguing with a "kuh" sound instead of "tu" or "da" and after you go down to like a F go up to like a C# down to a G or whatever u think sounds funnier :P

Reply To Post AIM

15. by CajunSax
              (76 posts)

19 years ago

yeah a good example of that 'laughing' is Branford Marsalis on the Mo' Betta Blues soundtrack...Beneath The Underdog is the name of the track I believe...it's the one where Denzel Washington does the voiceover. Anyways...he does it chromatically, almost like a horse's 'neigh', but it's definately a laugh-like sound. 'Booty booty booty...titty titty titty, forget about the courtin', let's get married'

Reply To Post Yahoo!

16. by saxgod_0021
              (4 posts)

19 years ago

www.petethomas.co.uk/saxophone-fluttertongue.html This sight has lots of effects i would like to see that chart thanks

Reply To Post

17. by Dark Eyes
              (138 posts)

18 years ago

G sharp multiphonic is also a good one. Cheers, Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

18. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

...what about growling? i just recently learned how to growl, and i'm transfixed by it! i recently figured out the melody of "Cruella deVille" and put a growl to it...awesome!!!

Reply To Post

19. by CajunSax
              (76 posts)

16 years ago

Something everyone should watch www.ubu.com/film/kirk.html

Reply To Post Yahoo!

20. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

my fave movie! well, one of my many favorites...

Reply To Post

21. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

oops! i didn't see the link till after the post! i meant 101 dalmations.

Reply To Post