Saxophone Forum

by Augman
(29 posts)
19 years ago

alto and tenor

Ive always wondered . Is it bad for your ear to play alto and tenor because the fingerings have different values? Is this why you hear of pros that play tenor and saprano but hardly ever tenor and alto. I love both and cant decide after 25 years.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan88
    (318 posts)

19 years ago

Re: alto and tenor

Uhh...never heard that before. Maybe b/c one's tuned to Eb and the other one to Bb? Have no clue.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

A lot of people play both. I've played tenor for 22 years, and alto for 18 years. Because they are in different keys, the music is not interchangable between the 2. Many tenor players also play soprano instead of alto because they can use the same music. (same key, Bb) I play mostly by ear. In fact, I haven't read music much in over 12 years now since I last played with an orchestra. The different keys really don't bother me too much. It's easy enough to transpose 5 half-steps. The alto and tenor play very differently though. The tenor emboucher is much more forgiving than the alto.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

I played alto for several years in my HS. When the band director put me on tenor this year, he gave me this huge lecture on how tenor was such a more unique instrument than an alto, or even a bari for that matter. We had a soprano player in our jazz band who was forced to read tenor music because there was no soprano music written. Connsaxman, I assume you play on a metal? I'm making the transformation to metal from plastic/rubber very soon. Can ya give me any advice? Thanx!

Reply To Post