Saxophone Forum

by Phil B
(1 post)
19 years ago

Metal mouthpiece for a vintage Conn?

I have a Conn tenor sax from the late 1930s. I started playing it again after many years and still use the Brilhart Ebolin (3) and Brilhart Tonalin (3) hard rubber mouthpieces I used back in junior high and high school (c. mid to late '60s). I would like to experiment with new sounds and was wondering how a metal mouthpiece would work with the old "Naked Lady." Any ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Metal mouthpiece for a vintage Conn?

I recommend large chambered mouthpieces on the old Conns. Some of the modern small chambered pieces (like Selmer Paris metals) tend to run sharp - though the Selmer USA metals might work ok. If you really want to try metal, I recommend Otto Link SuperTone Master or Guy Hawkins - like a 6 facing on either. Vintage large chambered mouthpieces like Dukoff Hollywoods could work great, too, but they sell for a premium. As you are used to hard rubber pieces, you might want to stick with hard rubber, though. Vandoren Jumbo Java mouthpieces give a bold, edgy, sound but they would be far more familiar to your embouchre than going with a metal mpc. A 55 facing on one of those would be a good size to try. I've used the Vandoren Jumbo Java on my old Conns to good avail. I've got a 55 and will soon have a 75 - not sure which one I'll want as my keeper. Those are great pieces you've got to begin with!

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Sax_maniac got it right, large round chambered pieces. I play a Guy Hawkins mostly on my old horns, a King Super 20 Silversonic and a 42 Conn 10M. I also play a vintage florida link and a 50s berg.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

I was lucky enough to own a 10m in years past. I used an old Link refaced to a rather large tip opening for most of the time and it was quite a sound. A bit of work to get altissimo, but that was the facing. I also used a Berg 110/2 which was killer, too, and in tune. Gotta agree, big, open mouthpiece compliments big sounding horn. Anyone have thoughts about what to use with a 6m?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I play a 1948 Naked Lady. These guys are ABSOLUTELY right! You want a large chambered mouthpiece. I use a vintage Otto Link Super Tone Master. It's a great sounding mouthpiece for the 10M. I even heard that it was originally designed for a Conn 10M. I have an old Meyer piece too that sounds pretty good, but I prefer the Otto Link. I wouldn't recommend the double chamber pieces either, as they too tend to play sharp on the 10M. www.giardinelli.com has the Otto Link pieces for like $109. Great price!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

For my 6M, I like a hard rubber piece over metal. I have a newer Otto Link Super Tone Master, but it's a little shrill on the alto. There's a rubber Otto Link that sells for around $90 I want to try. I've been using a Selmer S-80 C* and I LOVE this mouthpiece! It sounds great, and it plays so easy! You might like the metal Link for rock and jazz though. Typically when I play rock, funk or jazz I play tenor. I like my alto to sound warm, sweet and seductavely sexy! :P

Reply To Post Yahoo!