Saxophone Forum

by JAYSAX23
(12 posts)
19 years ago

Transposing C to E flat

I have alot of Piano music but dont know how to put it in the key of E flat.Can anyone help me with this? Thanx in advance

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Phaty Sax
    (1 post)

17 years ago

Re: Transposing C to E flat

I recommend just memorizing it. By using familiar words. D=B and Dflat=Bflat "Dumb Blonde". Or G=E and Gflat=Eflat I know this won't help you but my friends name is "Grant Ellis". So I just used a bunch of names and phrases that I now don't need anymore because I have used them so much it just sticks. Plus, its kind of fun to try and think of famouse names or peoples initials that match the letters.

Reply To Post

2. by ukt007
    (1 post)

16 years ago

thank you

Reply To Post

3. by sweeterswing
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

I play flute as well as alto, so I'll sometimes transpose my jazz sheet music up to flute key for fun. I'm not positive, but this is what works for me: When transposting on my flute (sax music played on flute), I usually go up a third and change key signatures. B to D, D to F, etc. I played with it and figured it out. Best way to find out is from experience. Don't forget key signatures though. If it's in key of C for piano, an Eb chart has three sharps. If you have a piano, just try playing whats on the music and figuring it out on the sax. If all else fails, try Googleing for a transposing key or just count half steps. C is 4 half-steps down from Eb (C, Db, D, Eb), so just count up four half steps from C music to get the Eb note and change your octave to fit so it's in a comfortable range. Hope I helped and wasn't too confusing!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If the music is in the key of C, it would be in the key of A on an Eb instrument like an alto sax. Just subtract 3 half steps.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

yea its just down a minor third 3 half steps... much more confusing that c to Bb

Reply To Post

2. by FutureBandTeacher
      (45 posts)

19 years ago

Count up 3 half steps and then go down an octave... or on a keyboard use the transpose feature and go -3 halfsteps.

Reply To Post

1. by FutureBandTeacher
        (45 posts)

19 years ago

Amendment-just found out my band teacher told me how to transpose from trumpet to sax... never mind.

Reply To Post

3. by downtown
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

If the piano is playing in any key how do I transpose to an e flat saxaphone?

Reply To Post

1. by downtown
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

2. by JeremyA
        (28 posts)

18 years ago

You can transpose from an instrument in the key of C to an instrument in the key of Eb by an interval of a major sixth. The sixth note from the scale that corresponds to the first key signature is the first note of the scale that corresponds to the transposed key signature. For example, a piece of music for piano is in the key of Db major. To transpose it for alto sax the sixth note in the Db major scale would be Bb, so the key would be Bb major.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

18 years ago

You will always be playing in a key that has 3 more sharps or three fewer flats than the piano. If the piano has one flat, the Eb saxophone will be playing in 2 sharps. You will always play (on alto) one sixth higher--easier to read one third lower, and then raise it an octave. It is a minor third, but if you've alread figured out the key, that's taken care of. Also, remember that written accidentals will also need to be adjusted. For example, a B that is flat in the key signature which has a natural accidental, will need to be sharped as it is transposed, a G#. If you're reading of the bass clef (as a bari sax might do), it's much easier. Figure out the key, then pretend it's treble clef (a written C in bass cleff looks like an A in treble clef). The Bari Sax in our high school sometimes played off the tuba music by doing that...

Reply To Post

2. by The Insomniac Saxman
          (141 posts)

17 years ago

When you practice your scales, use Solfege (do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do) to relate to the function of the notes (moveable "do" with a "la"-based minor). Sing the Solfege syllables in your head while practicing. Get used to sightsinging the music you read in Solfege. When you need to transpose, you can "tell" your fingers to play in a certain key if you have developed a sense of function. This takes a lot of work, but if you practice it properly, you will be able to transpose to any key.

Reply To Post

3. by Gor_don
          (1 post)

13 years ago

Pretty basic. Just read a major 6th up (or a minor third down) and add three sharps to the signature. Example:Piano in C Major, Eb alto in A major (3 sharps) or piano in F major (1 flat), Eb alto in in D major (2 sharps). Remember that if the piano has flats in the key signature, each flat will cancel a sharp in the key the alto sax music.

Reply To Post