Saxophone Forum

by bradys
(1 post)
19 years ago

buying a curved soprano sax

I want to buy a curved soprano sax. I wouldn't want to spend more than $350 any suggestions on good brands? new or used.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: buying a curved soprano sax

Good brands under $350? HAHAHAHAHA Oh I'm sorry. Were you being serious?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

Connsaxman is right. In a big way. To get a good curved soprano sax, you have to either buy a Yanagisawa or a Vintage Horn. This saying that you want your sax to play in tune, sound like a saxophone, be made of metal, measure more than 6 inches, etc. The big thing on curved sopranos, and sopranos in general is intonation. Yani is your best bet, if you're willing to put in the cash. Even then, players prefer their straight version much better. By now, you've probably seen those curved sopranos on ebay. Shiny, brand new, beautiful curved soprano saxophones. They're chinese junk. They're made by laborers who know little or nothing about saxophone craftsmanship. A saxophone is a very complex instrument.

Reply To Post

2. by 1saxcoconut
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

I tried out the curved Cannon Ball Global and it blows great. My friend is selling it to me. I have a Straight Mark VI too and nothing will ever top it but the Cannon is a cool little professional horn. Intonation is great and the keys are layed out perfectly. Good prices too. See if you can find one on Ebay.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
      (64 posts)

19 years ago

I'm guessing that you forgot a zero right? Most student model Alto's cost more than 350, your lucky to find one that plays for less than 5 or 6 hundred. If you want a horn, you need to spend the money, I know it sucks. I got mine instead of a car on my 16th. I ended up with some junker my grampa used to use to save his spot in parking garages, in Detriot (you can guess what condition that thing was in). All in all, instruments are a business were you get what you pay for. If you shell out $4000 you'll get a nice sax that will last a long time and sound good. If you buy a 300 Monique off ebay, you'll get a 300 toy saxophone, usually made in tiawan (but it will say "developed in france") probably made out of fiberglass and old chinease newspapers. I would reccomend saving up till you get enough money. Mabey try a selmer, yamaha or yani, depending on how much money you actually save, but if your buying one new don't spend less than 1500 or you will most likley get a peice of crap. And don't get a curved one, the soprano sax has enough intonation problems without adding a curved body. The curved ones have seriose problems.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxman2200
        (64 posts)

19 years ago

oh, just to clear up, when I said "most student model Alto's" I said alto because thats what most of those cheap brands (monique, helmke, maxtone, ect.) advertise the most, I know your shoping for a soprano, also most sops, are around the same price range, alto's have a wider spectrum.

Reply To Post